Currently reading:
Failed gate valve: how to stop hot water supply in flat?

Discuss Failed gate valve: how to stop hot water supply in flat? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ianm

Hi,
I need to replace the back nut on my hot bath tap. However, the gate valve on the cold water supply to the HWC seems to have failed and still allows a flow through the hot tap even when closed. I live in a flat, presumably with a shared cold water tank somewhere in the loft to which I don't have access. Is there any way I can stop the hot water supply to do this repair? Or failing that, is it a terrible idea to disconnect the pipe to the hot tap with the water still flowing slightly, quickly replace the back nut and reconnect the pipe?

Thanks,
Ian

Ian, as you are obviously interested in achieving this (hats off for that), why not speak to whoever manages the freehold etc and find out how to access the tank - they really should facilitate that and you'll probably find your plumber might want to anyway.

Would this not be a perfect situation to use one of those new clamp on replacement lever valves? Would allow you to issolate the cold supply to the hot tank that the faulty gate cant. Golden rule of plumbing "isolation" fulfilled and work can comence with gusto.

A diy snatch to end up with a 15mm clyinder cold feed Leo?

If I was being serious and not joking. Yes!
And just to clarify I was joking. If you were going to snatch it, you'd snatch a new valve in! 22mm of course.

Last edited:
It would if they were available in 22mm. As far as I'm aware they only make them in 15mm at present.

That I did not know. I guess 22 is just too hard to crush down away from the valve insert when its been cut. either that or they just haven't released it yet. Seems strange to have a potentialy game changing product but only offer it in a 15mm size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Failed gate valve: how to stop hot water supply in flat? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back