Discuss external condensate pipe to sink or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have had some helpful comments elsewhere on how to minimise the chances of the condensate freezing in an external pipe so thanks to all. Trace heating is probably going to be too expensive but I am considering a pump though it doesn't help get to a point internally because of layout.

Because of the siting of the boiler I am going to have a condensate pipe travelling down the external wall and then 500 mm out to a soakaway.

The first choice is to keep it just above the ground for the last 500 mm run out (sloping away from the horizontal) to the condensate trap. Advantages I can see are that the pipe is accessible if it does freeze and I can see if the joint fails at some point in the future (acid leak would be near foundations). Disadvantage is that I get a trip hazard and would have to warn all visitors.

Second choice is to bury the last near horizontal 500 mm a little or even deeper. It is probably less likely to freeze (?) but inaccessible to me if it does (how would you thaw it?). Secondly, if the joint near the house did ever fail would there be any signs I would notice? Would the concrete show it for example?

I have probably had enough disturbed nights and it is hard when you know nothing about plumbing! Does anyone have any answers to my questions to help me make a decision?

Thank you in advance

I always use condensulate xtreme for external condensate runs, you have to run it in 1 1/2 pipe and use swept elbows but it won't freeze until it's below -20 which doesn't happen to often in the UK.

I would bury the soakaway pot 500mm away from the property and no less than 500mm from the surface to the top of the pot, no good the pipe not freezing if the pot is frozen solid.

3/4 fill the pot with lime stone chipping, make sure you leave an air gap between the pipe and the chipping.

Last edited:
I always use condensulate xtreme for external condensate runs, you have to run it in 1 1/2 pipe and use swept elbows but it won't freeze until it's below -20 which doesn't happen to often in the UK.

I would bury the soakaway pot 500mm away from the property and no less than 500mm from the surface to the top of the pot, no good the pipe not freezing if the pot is frozen solid.

3/4 fill the pot with lime stone chipping, make sure you leave an air gap between the pipe and the chipping.

had that freeze last winter, thought it was 11/2 waste at first then cut into it to find that :D

Reply to external condensate pipe to sink or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back