Search the forum,

Discuss Extending Heating in to a Ground Floor Extension in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Just had a new ground floor extension built and the plumber has taken a feed from the main heating circuit from the boiler that runs under our easily accessible ground floor void, run 15mm speed fit pipes back up into the roof of the extension, and then fed back down to each radiator. We have four radiators in total being fed this way. Does this make any sense to anyone else? I was expecting the heating supply to get put into the floor of the new extension (since the screed had not been laid at the point of first fix for plumbing), a 22mm pipe extension from the existing circuit stepped down to 15 mm for each radiator; with each radiator being fed upwards from the floor.

Read more: Extending Heating Into Ground Floor Extension - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/extending-heating-into-ground-floor-extension.581827/#ixzz7D9buBCW6

Yes I would of done it that way as well if anything needs to be changed / leaks it’s only plasterboard that’s damaged and not the whole slab / screed

Also best not to concrete over fittings

The pipe size depends on the output/flow rate required. Speedfit 15mm is only small bore and will only provide around 20,000 Btu's/hr. So long as the requirements of the rads are less than that, the size should be acceptable.

The route - up and over - is bad news as far as I am concerned. Sometimes there is no option so a method of release for air should be provided.

Plastic pipe expands around 1% so allowances should be made to prevent it 'creaking' as it moves. If it is installed correctly it can be quiet/silent.

Copper for me!
Down then up.
Each to his own.

What you have is standard new build practice.
You cannot have a heating pipework in screed floor that has the connections in the screed see WRAS 2.7
Without knowing size of extension pipe sizing difficult to say but as rooms will be insulated to current heat loss will not be high.
I would personally had a serious discussion about underfloor new build with screed floor perfect!

Reply to Extending Heating in to a Ground Floor Extension in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock