Search the forum,

Discuss Essex flange leaking from hwc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitenbulsara

Gas Engineer
Morning
A question for anyone who has attempted to repair a leaking Essex flange side exit.
Is it worth trying to repair a leaking flange by drain down cylinder below flange breaking free the external nut if possible and use hemp n boss white to re-seal as long as the nut tightens up?..

Any advice as I'm not in the position to take out a lot of time to change the cylinder as they have built couboards n it's right in the corner and will have to cut loads of pipe work just to get cylinder out n the new one has the extra insulation too.

Any advice would be great

When you are going to the bother of draining etc why not just replace? Although I have bodged them as you mention as a temp fix.

However long it takes then price for that

If you don't want to do it then don't

What's the problem?

Take a new one with you. The seal is on the inside ( as you know), make sure the surface inside the tank is clean and smooth and the new flange will fit lovely.

If it is leaking the problem will normally be that washer on the inside.

I'd do it.

Not a bad little job with a brew n biscuits, radio Christmas songs, Nice n warm inside.

Go on, Enjoy yourself.

Don't be tempted to use paste, silicone! Lsx etc. This will make the rubber washer spread. It then won't seal against the thread. These joints are meant to be used with just the washers.
For the cost, I would just remove tho old one and fit new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Essex flange leaking from hwc in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock