Search the forum,

Discuss electric boiler for water only in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
63 and disabled, living in a ground floor flat, one bedroom, electric only!
Hot water is economy 7, immersion heater!
paid more for night rate than I did for the day rate.
Could I get a new boiler that is cheaper than the immersion?
2 taps and one shower

Hello,
63 and disabled, living in a ground floor flat, one bedroom, electric only!
Hot water is economy 7, immersion heater!
paid more for night rate than I did for the day rate.
Could I get a new boiler that is cheaper than the immersion?
2 taps and one shower

Really. are you sure

Attachments

• IMG_0177.JPG
    IMG_0177.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0178.JPG
    IMG_0178.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0180.JPG
    IMG_0180.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0181.JPG
    IMG_0181.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_E0177.JPG
    IMG_E0177.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 5
All electric heaters are equally efficient at converting heat into electricity. Having said that, if you use very little hot water, you may find you would use less electricity by using electric showers and/or a small point-of-use electric water heater rather than heating a whole cylinder and having it slowly go cold over the day. Though if your house is also heated electrically, you will probably only notice the difference in the summer months as the heat lost from that cylinder is currently heating your flat.

Also bear in mind having economy 7 is a mixed blessing, because you pay less for night rate and then they charge you more for the day rate units.

If you are on a pre-payment meter, contact the electricity supplier Ebico and see what they are charging, as they used to be one of the cheapest for this payment method.

All electric heaters are equally efficient at converting heat into electricity. Having said that, if you use very little hot water, you may find you would use less electricity by using electric showers and/or a small point-of-use electric water heater rather than heating a whole cylinder and having it slowly go cold over the day. Though if your house is also heated electrically, you will probably only notice the difference in the summer months as the heat lost from that cylinder is currently heating your flat.

Also bear in mind having economy 7 is a mixed blessing, because you pay less for night rate and then they charge you more for the day rate units.

If you are on a pre-payment meter, contact the electricity supplier Ebico and see what they are charging, as they used to be one of the cheapest for this payment method.
Paying 21p for the day rate, economy 7 is for hot water only, mixer shower and 2 taps, immersion heaters have been tested, but still, look like they are running for 7 hours1

Are your cylinders not lagged or are they piped in such a way that the heat in the water is somehow being lost? How big is your cylinder? 7 hours to heat does seem a lot indeed!

The pipe goes vertical through the ceiling!
Now, most are saying how great it is to have the immersion as a reserve, Boiler packs up and you still have hot water!
Which means I do not have a Boiler!!

The pipe goes vertical through the ceiling!
Now, most are saying how great it is to have the immersion as a reserve, Boiler packs up and you still have hot water!
Which means I do not have a Boiler!!
What you have in your photos is called a hot water cylinder. Immersion heaters are usually used to heat a cylinder as a backup to a gas boiler. So no, you don't have a boiler. What you have is a cylinder with two immersion heaters, and nothing wrong with that.

The pipe should run horizontal about 18" before going up through the ceiling. If it goes straight up, while this is not dangerous, this does mean that the heated water in that cylinder will tend to circulate up and down the vertical section and act as a small radiator in your airing cupboard and loft, thus losing the heat from the cylinder and increasing your bills. Would suggest it would be a good idea to get a plumber in to rectify this.

Reply to electric boiler for water only in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock