Search the forum,

Discuss Efficiency of boiler rating calculation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
[FONT=&quot]i all hope someone can help[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have an [/FONT][FONT=&quot]150L hot water cylinder[/FONT][FONT=&quot] with an immersion element after 1 hour it has consumed [/FONT][FONT=&quot]2.69kW of electric[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (im not too sure but I suspect the starting temperature was approx 42.9 degrees and reached 60 degrees).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now when I use my boiler i measure the water temperature and its 42.9 degrees. After [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1 hour of boost[/FONT][FONT=&quot] on the control panel the water temperature has increase to 55.8 degrees so the temperature increase is [/FONT][FONT=&quot]12.9 degrees[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. According to a digital meter I have consumed 7kW however the digital meter does not show a decimal point so I ought to deduct one unit so the usage was at least [/FONT][FONT=&quot]6kW[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to heat my hot water tank.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]From that data is it possible to calculate the efficiency rating of my boiler in comparison to using electric?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Also would there be a massive energy loss between the boiler and cylinder (the pipe is about 2 metres to the cylinder and return length approx the same) - its fully lagged.

[/FONT]
I suspect I should use the formula:

Size of tank X 4 X temp difference / 3421 = Kw rating

150 X 4 X 12.9 / 3421 = 2.26

100 / 6kW X 2.26 = 37.6% efficiency rating

Does that make sense? it that the correct method?

[FONT=&quot]Thanks in advance[/FONT]

Gas per kw is about half the cost of electricity. Per kW of water heated. But you must have a very poor system to take 1 hour to heat up!
Modern systems take about 25 to 30mins from cold!

Water in litres X rise in Temp C X 4, gives close approximation in BTU.
By definition 150 X 17.1 X 4 = 10260 BTUs which equates to 3Kw. Something is wrong with the methodology that gave you 2.69Kw. The 2nd calculation appears equally amiss.
Temperature of water in cylinder should be taken at various levels to allow for stratification and information as to how energy usage of 6Kw was calculated is needed.

As per chalked's post, if its taking you an hour to get from 43 degrees to 56 degrees there is something wrong with either the controls or the system design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Efficiency of boiler rating calculation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

What would be the heating time for this (indirect) vented cylinder? Rated coil = 14kw Is it 96 litres x 4.2 specific weight x 40 (dT) ? How do I calculate the heating requirement of the boiler to heat this cylinder. Secondly, they are simpler to install as opposed to unvented type but what are...
Replies
Views
S
Morning all, I have a Worcester Bosch 8000 life 40kw boiler on system with 7 radiators and the boiler is located in the loft of a 1907 end of terrace house. It has been range rated down to 50% and I currently have the flow temperature set to 64, due to slow warm up. I recently purchased a...
Replies
Views
Simon from Watford
S
Hi I have a Ideal Logic S30 System Boiler, and I have always left it on eco setting which is 70 degrees. I have a separate thermostat for my water tank set at 65. I don’t understand the condensing part of the boiler but I believe there is the most efficient settings you can have for this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've had a WB 8000 35kw boiler installed today and was searching through some websites which talked about range rating your boiler and/or turning down the flow temperature to save on cost. I spoke to the engineer that installed it and he advised against rage rating saying that having 17...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock