Discuss drinking water tank in loft in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Am not on mains water so have a storage tank in the loft providing a gravity fed system. The tank is supplies two 50gal vented immersion cylinders as well as all drinking water. The vent pipe is easily redirected to stop water from the hot cylinder ever getting back into the cold tank. My question is this: Can water from the hot cylinder (due to expansion) ever get back into the cold tank through the pipe that connects the two together? If water from the hot cylinder can get back into the cold tank in this way, is there a way of preventing this so that there is no risk of contamination to drinking water?

You'll need to register to get continued answers but,

Yes the tank is an expansion tank for the cylinder.
Water can expand up through the cold feed.

There's no real problem with drinking it but if you don't wish to then you'll need a separate tank just for the cold drinking supply.

I assume it's Well or Spring?
Does the system have filters?
Is it tested regularly?

Last edited:
Please register with us and start a new thread to receive additional answers to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to drinking water tank in loft in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock