Discuss drilling stainless in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil hair

Gas Engineer
hi, got to install a new shower next week. to cover up the hole that will be left, they asked if i could put a piece of mirrored stainless in, have the shower attached to it, pipes coming through,ect.
i thought this was a great idea, until i reralisec drilling a small hole can be a,err, difficult, never mind a 25ish mm hole.
any tips out there?

nice new hole saw and no lube unless its special stuff for ss and take your time

As above nice sharp cutters and Ss cutting oil only, when stainless gets hot its impossible to drill so slow speed and don't let it get too hot

I seem to remember that the Bosch progressor hole saws are suitable for stainless. The posh white ones that click in to the arbour.

I've cut a 35mm hole in a sink using a Q-max punch. You need to drill a pilot hole first - I used my cordless drill and a sharp but cheap HSS twist drill. Obviously I must have gone slowly enough because I had no problem. I think I used oil or grease to lube drill bit.

thanks everybody, did the job today, only broke 1 drill,pushing to hard on 3mm drill.
slow slow was the key, and the step drill :nono: it

thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to drilling stainless in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
small hole in plastic waste pipe which is the better fix ? Hi there need some advice please, i have drilled a small hole in the plastic waste pipe...
Replies
Views
First of all I have to confess I am not a plumber so please bear with me! I have a Daryl enclosed shower in an ensuite bathroom. It was already...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'd like to get some advice on the following issue. We have relatively large tiles (see image 1), and the idea was that the vertical...
Replies
Views
hi all i got myself in a muddle. a friend of a friend came around at xmas to help me line up two copper pipes for shower bar install. the pipes...
Replies
Views
Back