Search the forum,

Discuss drilling stainless in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil hair

Gas Engineer
hi, got to install a new shower next week. to cover up the hole that will be left, they asked if i could put a piece of mirrored stainless in, have the shower attached to it, pipes coming through,ect.
i thought this was a great idea, until i reralisec drilling a small hole can be a,err, difficult, never mind a 25ish mm hole.
any tips out there?

nice new hole saw and no lube unless its special stuff for ss and take your time

As above nice sharp cutters and Ss cutting oil only, when stainless gets hot its impossible to drill so slow speed and don't let it get too hot

I seem to remember that the Bosch progressor hole saws are suitable for stainless. The posh white ones that click in to the arbour.

I've cut a 35mm hole in a sink using a Q-max punch. You need to drill a pilot hole first - I used my cordless drill and a sharp but cheap HSS twist drill. Obviously I must have gone slowly enough because I had no problem. I think I used oil or grease to lube drill bit.

thanks everybody, did the job today, only broke 1 drill,pushing to hard on 3mm drill.
slow slow was the key, and the step drill :nono: it

thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to drilling stainless in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock