Discuss Drains ...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Good evening guys.
has some legislation on domestic property's drains recently changed,
I.e it's not the property owners problem now, or as per , is it me who has heard some daft rumors

Good evening guys.
has some legislation on domestic property's drains recently changed,
I.e it's not the property owners problem now, or as per , is it me who has heard some daft rumors

Yes 2011
Water companies are now responsible for Private sewers (i.e drain serving more than 1 property) on Domestic properties.

However there's a catch, you now can't add to, alter build near or over them without the Water co. permission (subject to conditions)

Essentially from how I understand it is
1. Drains from a single house are still the responsibility of that house
2. Drains from the connection/join to the main sewer from 2 or more private homes are now the responsibility of the utility
3. Communal spetic tanks/private treatment/ etc off main system are also now within the utilities remit. Centralheatking

Well, my property was built in 1930. We all have a problem in the back entry with drainage; during heavy rain, as the water just backs-up into our gardens.
One of my friends, two doors down, had Severn Trent Water out to see where the problem was with the drainage pipes that run through the back entry and take rain water away from all our properties.
Severn Trents reply was: "Nowt to do with us, as we were established in 1974, your drains are circa 1930...bye bye."
So are we saying that Severn Trent Water are now responsible?

Last edited:
Yes the date the infrastructure was installed has no bearing on whether they are obligated to cover it what it does point out is that for the sewerage charge you are paying as part of your water rates they have never even bothered to renew your drainage in the entire time of their existance yet they have the cheek to charge for its upkeep. This is what happens when we privatise vital infrastructure.

However it is not clear to me what form the drainage you are referring to in your post is. Is it just rain water to a communal soakaway or does it carry sewage as well as rainwater? I dont know the finer details of what is or isnt covered by the supplier but I am certain the age of the infrastructure has no bearing.

Well, my property was built in 1930. We all have a problem in the back entry with drainage; during heavy rain, as the water just backs-up into our gardens.
One of my friends, two doors down, had Severn Trent Water out to see where the problem was with the drainage pipes that run through the back entry and take rain water away from all our properties.
Severn Trents reply was: "Nowt to do with us, as we were established in 1974, your drains are circa 1930...bye bye."
So are we saying that Severn Trent Water are now responsible?

Yes under water act and their adoption of the sewer it's their problem.

As a minimum report sewage spillage. Not during rain tho as this can be blagged as "peak run off." And is permitted on historic undersized sewers.

Can u keep your rear entry out of it!

Yes under water act and their adoption of the sewer it's their problem.

As a minimum report sewage spillage. Not during rain tho as this can be blagged as "peak run off." And is permitted on historic undersized sewers.

Can u keep your rear entry out of it!

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm going to post some pictures of my rear entry problem on here. It's the actual drains in the entry which are done-in.
It's backed-up...not nice to look at.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Drains ...... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, Hi wonder if anyone could help? I have a customer that has recently had backflow problems with her cylinder. She gets very hot water coming...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a bath tub in my apartment that is draining very slowly. It does finally drain but only after about 12-15+ minutes. After trying...
Replies
Views
P
Hi all, really need a suggestion.. We recently bought this house and started seeing drain backflow issues when using washing machine into the...
Replies
Views
My father is getting quotes to have his back-boiler replaced. The firm he wants to use have told him that they will have to fit drain-offs to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock