Discuss DIY Forum for DIY Plumbers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Yup.

Just got rid of that on Sparky forum. Got rid of it on tilers early in the year. About to come around to this one soon. :)

Testing the water here. ;)

My line is "if you're not helping the person who posted the thread when you reply, don't bother".

They already know they can get a plumber in before they come here.

Gas-wise, clearly need to trap them buggers. Or let darwin theory kick in and let them tap into that gasline, as long as nobody else is near them to blow up with them? Darwin Awards. Chlorinating The Gene Pool.

As a diyer, and not a very good one - mainly electrics.

Are you suggesting that we DIYers should have a separate area which excludes the tradesman and that we form an information area strictly for ourselves - where we can discuss things that we don't want the tradesmen to know?

I studied as a scientist and strongly believe that information should be available to all . E.g. Information on guns available but guns not.

We get so much help from the tradesmen that it would be a great loss separating their input.

As an example very relevant. The boiler manufacturers give the owner the installation manual for the boiler which includes details and mantenance plans. Mine says that Y plan systems normally don't need a bypass valve. (One of my other posts)

Is it legal for me to have this?
Is it legal for me to open the cover - no its against the law.
Is it legal for me or anyone to drive over the speed limit or be instructed how to do it?

Just my thoughts.
[automerge]1569091992[/automerge]
And my final words.

My surgeon said that he isn't going to tell me any information on my upcoming operation as he is opening the covers and it would be illegal for me to do it myself.

As a diyer, and not a very good one - mainly electrics.

Are you suggesting that we DIYers should have a separate area which excludes the tradesman and that we form an information area strictly for ourselves - where we can discuss things that we don't want the tradesmen to know?

I studied as a scientist and strongly believe that information should be available to all . E.g. Information on guns available but guns not.

We get so much help from the tradesmen that it would be a great loss separating their input.

As an example very relevant. The boiler manufacturers give the owner the installation manual for the boiler which includes details and mantenance plans. Mine says that Y plan systems normally don't need a bypass valve. (One of my other posts)

Is it legal for me to have this?
Is it legal for me to open the cover - no its against the law.
Is it legal for me or anyone to drive over the speed limit or be instructed how to do it?

Just my thoughts.
[automerge]1569091992[/automerge]
And my final words.

My surgeon said that he isn't going to tell me any information on my upcoming operation as he is opening the covers and it would be illegal for me to do it myself.

I have some dim recollection there is no requirement to be competent to operate on another person in a fit state to give consent, I think it is illegal to operate on an animal though.

I can see where you're coming from.

But it's just not the case.

I just want to open up the lovely forum to more people than just the usual 50. :)

The other forums are booming. This is getting back there. It was very cliquey a few years ago. They seemed to have something going with GSR that was questionably dodgy. So they always gave other plumbers the boot the moment they could. It tarnished the site a bit. So we need to get that community feel back. But not a cliquey one.

And if that meant losing every sponsor. I'd do that.

But they totally leave me to it. If they wanted to make their own forums to shape those how they want to, they could. But then they become biased and an easy target for independent forums and their users.

So they want it to be constructed the way it naturally would be. I listen to you guys, have a look at what other forums are doing, see what Google can send us traffic for, take a look at what percentage of all plumbing traffic we get here in the UK - And time and time again it just makes sense to open it up to everybody, and see who picks up on it - then shape it for them.

The sponsors don't really get a say at all in the shaping of it. In fact @CorgiDirect has just been left to it since he came on board and I actually feel a bit bad about it!

I've setup advice forums for sponsors on our other forums. And will setup those here too in a couple of weeks. Because we can all be working together a bit better on here to make it something much bigger than it is.

While mentioning goings-ons - Worth thanking the lads who have stood on the door during it's cold nights sorting out bitchy comments and dodgy advertising spam posts and stuff. Thanks people. :)

But we're starting to need more avenues now. We have a lot of unregistered traffic for the amount of new thread we have created. I think the content we've had for years serves us well. But it needs to be used to gain more traffic ongoing really.

Anyway. Not up for discussion right now. :) I'll give you a shout when I'm after some comments from members, like I did with this thread. Which is now off-topic thanks to me lol sorry! :D

Hi Dan, no problems here. Happy to support the forum. I'm pleased that we joined, its been and continues to be really good and your support has been excellent !
[automerge]1569232558[/automerge]
It's CORGI's 50th anniversary next year, so going to be lots of activity on here :)

At the end of the day if householders need advice, guidance or assistance regarding heating plumbing and drain issues UKPF should be their first stop and they should get accurate, on topic, up to date and safe advice. Others in the trade will post as well when they need info or indeed have some info to impart. Its a great forum and will be greater the wider the net is cast more questions, more answers and more shared knowledge. Centralheatking

Reply to DIY Forum for DIY Plumbers? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

As recommended by the welcome email, hello all, my name is James Pirie and I am not a plumber but a keen DIY enthusiast mostly due to the severe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and joined specifically to try to get an answer to my question. I have an 88yo mother-in-law who is recently...
Replies
Views
As part of a slow DIY bathroom refit I've removed the old toilet from the original location next to the soil pipe (and obviously capped off the...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Hi All Newbie so please bear with. We are selling our old house - built 1880. The purchaser has shared their survey report which states that the...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock