Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss DHW Cylinder - What temp? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

patrocks

Hi,

I have a hot water cylinder and I would like advice on the what temperature to set it so as to protect my children from scalds (when they play with taps in the bath) and/or save money but not die from legionella.

The system (valliant) has a legionella function. If the advice is to set the temp down how often should the legionella function be set to run and would you suggest any particular time for it to run.

Thanks

Pat.

Next question, how do you stop children playing with taps?

What ages?

Two options. Tell them not to play or stick their hands under it when its not scalding hot.

Lot of growing up is experiencing. Well it used to be.

Bottom line is if you cant control your kids then get a tmv fitted under the bath.

I know we're coming across as flippant Pat but we're not.

In all honesty I would set the temperature to 50. Because your water is constantly on the go the likelihood of legionella occurring is remote.

The amount of domestic legionella deaths can be counted on the fingers of one stump......

55 is what's recommended for kids and old gits . I would just run the clean once a month at 10pm. That way sprogs asleep and it's still hot in morning.

My children are 5 & 7, my combi supplies hot water at approx 60C and so far I've had no children with scalds.
I have explained to them that hot water can burn and hurt them but they aren't stupid and have gathered this fact pretty quickly in life :)

My children are 5 & 7, my combi supplies hot water at approx 60C and so far I've had no children with scalds.
I have explained to them that hot water can burn and hurt them but they aren't stupid and have gathered this fact pretty quickly in life :)

Arnt your kids deep fried tho?

Can you guys not get tempering valves that you install on the outlet of the cylinder.

We have to install them as per regulations over here.
Max temp to bathrooms is 50C.

Look up RMC Tempering valves or Nefa Tempering valves.

Minimum temperature setting of Hot Water Cylinder 60C

Can you guys not get tempering valves that you install on the outlet of the cylinder.

We have to install them as per regulations over here.
Max temp to bathrooms is 50C.

Look up RMC Tempering valves or Nefa Tempering valves.

Minimum temperature setting of Hot Water Cylinder 60C
We can & do fit these Tempering valves oz but normally only to things like solar or solid fuel heated cylinders.

Our standards dictate that the hot water be stored at min of 60deg C, circulated at min 55 & returned (if secondary system is installed) at a min of 50deg C.

Our Building Reg's Part G states that any new bath installed must now (since 2010) be suppied with hot water at a maximum outlet temperature of 48deg C, call this point of use blending & is limited to fittings which are closely grouped.

Apologize if any of this has been covered in this post already.

P.S. The installation of blending valve to baths is not intended to stop stupid children from scalding themselves, just ones that have accidents !!!!

I would love to see how you train your kidiwinkles to cross the road SimonG. LOL

I would hope they know how now that they are 19, 21 and 30. But that would have been the old stop, look and listen. Not really different to, 'hot, dont touch'.

We can & do fit these Tempering valves oz but normally only to things like solar or solid fuel heated cylinders.

Our standards dictate that the hot water be stored at min of 60deg C, circulated at min 55 & returned (if secondary system is installed) at a min of 50deg C.

Our Building Reg's Part G states that any new bath installed must now (since 2010) be suppied with hot water at a maximum outlet temperature of 48deg C, call this point of use blending & is limited to fittings which are closely grouped.

Apologize if any of this has been covered in this post already.

P.S. The installation of blending valve to baths is not intended to stop stupid children from scalding themselves, just ones that have accidents !!!!

Much the same as our regulations.
In general terms it is quite rare to have pumped / circulated system over her.

Storage cylinders are usually set at 65 C. We can run untempered water to the kitchen and laundry, but most plumbers put the tempering valve at the HWS and have the whole property running @ 50C.

There were some figures regarding the scalding of people due to water temperature and time for serious burns.
The time taken for a serious burn at 60C compared to 50C was something like 45 seconds of constant flow.

It is a good thing these regulations regarding water temp.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DHW Cylinder - What temp? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock