Search the forum,

Discuss Day rates. Where do you draw the line between expensive and a rip off? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
South East. Non-gas plumbing.

I ask because I don't want to cross that line but I'd like to have my toes on it whenever humanly possible.

Also do you factor in materials/parts mark up when deciding on a day rate or is that a separate Brucey boner?

Thanks.

You just have to factor all these in. Diesel, everything.
I generally give an overall price cos I hate price breakdows where they pick away and come back with the "ill get that bit" etc

Anything that's a bonus like mark up isn't factored in as its a bonus

It shouldn't be considered a bonus. When you supply materials, you take on a host of legal responsibilities to the customer - all the responsibilities of a retailer. You have also incurred overhead in either fetching from the merchant, or carrying on your van etc.

Your mark up on materials is your just and proper return for shouldering those costs.

It shouldn't be considered a bonus. When you supply materials, you take on a host of legal responsibilities to the customer

I know it shouldn't be considered a bonus, but when you actually sit down and work out how much work you actually do FOC for customers that you don't/can't charge for 100% mark up wouldn't cover it sometimes so bonus makes me happier at the end of the week

If people need oxygen after you tell them the price you have probably over stepped the mark.

If you charge cheap you will never earn a good living.
Customers won't be loyal to you so why should you be the cheapest kid on the block?

It shouldn't be considered a bonus. When you supply materials, you take on a host of legal responsibilities to the customer - all the responsibilities of a retailer. You have also incurred overhead in either fetching from the merchant, or carrying on your van etc.

Your mark up on materials is your just and proper return for shouldering those costs.

Well said.

If people need oxygen after you tell them the price you have probably over stepped the mark.

Not necessarily - some people will reach for the oxygen no matter what figure you quote.
Even if you quoted below cost!

Unfortunately the customer does not understand this these days most are to paranoid that you may make a tenner or something .

You just have to factor all these in. Diesel, everything.
I generally give an overall price cos I hate price breakdows where they pick away and come back with the "ill get that bit" etc

I say crack on, because I dont take my 30% off, the estimate only reduces by cost :)

I had a guy phone me saturday night despite me telling him i was away for the weekend on friday afternoon who then spent 15 minuteas wafling on about budgets and expectations to get to the point of asking if i could cut my price down obviously it was a emphatic no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Day rates. Where do you draw the line between expensive and a rip off? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock