Search the forum,

Discuss crackin' time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumdum

when putting new taps on a ceramic basin,
is it possible that doing up the taps tight will crack the basin?
and if the basin does crack who pays for a new basin?

Never heard of it. Not unless your basin is some cheap foreign rubbish from the Sunday market, and if you are training to be Mr Universe.

Of course you musn't overtighten anything. The body of the tap should sit against the ceramic, then the washer goes over the tails, then the nut. The taps should be tight enough so that they won't spin by hand.

If the basin did crack it would be the fault of the plumber unless there was already a crack there such as an old basin you are refitting new taps to.

a good hand tight should be enough, i tighten the tap to the back nut and washer as opposed to the other way round, if ya get me

Over the years I have come across this problem and usually find it is down to a bad casting, or a very hard to see hairline crack caused in transit, depending on where you purchased the basin they should take it back and replace it.

Hand tite then half a turn... ish youl get a feel for it after a while, you can get special washers that will make them nice and tight, they are called "fixa tap" washers. I find that its the plastic nut on the back of the tap that splits first if anything.

top hat washers, hand tight then a good 2 turns, with brass nuts. aint broke one yet

I cracked a basin once,when tightening taps,hot I think,I was just applying the final twist when my tap spanner slipped and my knuckles went crashing against the wall,recoiling from the pain,I raised up and hit my head against the basin,which made me twist and fall against the w/c pan,the painter at the time had a short scaffold board on the pan across to the bath while painting the ceiling,this i knocked and set painter flying,his white apple tinted matt emulsion paint for kitchens and bathrooms tin flew through the air and caught the edge of the basin, causing little chip,apart from that never seen tap tightening cause any damage

As for who pays,obviously in this case it was the painter,after all it was his paint can :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I cracked a basin once,when tightening taps,hot I think,I was just applying the final twist when my tap spanner slipped and my knuckles went crashing against the wall,recoiling from the pain,I raised up and hit my head against the basin,which made me twist and fall against the w/c pan,the painter at the time had a short scaffold board on the pan across to the bath while painting the ceiling,this i knocked and set painter flying,his white apple tinted matt emulsion paint for kitchens and bathrooms tin flew through the air and caught the edge of the basin, causing little chip,apart from that never seen tap tightening cause any damage

As for who pays,obviously in this case it was the painter,after all it was his paint can :p

Could have been worse puddle - you might have spilt your tea lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to crackin' time in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock