Search the forum,

Discuss CP12 on a gas hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

desijas

Hello,

I’m just about to carry out CP12 on a gas hob which has no brand marking and is tiled in.

I’m happy to check the gas taps check and see if it has a AECV and a gas rate but without a manual for the hob do I need to remove it to find the badge details or do I use my findings from the gas rate itself?

Why can't you see underneath?
Need to rate it anyway too.

yes you need to read the data badge.

AECV = ? it should have a means of isolation, an Aditional emergency control valve is not for appliance isolation.

Last edited:
Never taken an oven out yet to check for an isolation valve. Gas rate, tightness test, flame picture and safety devices is what I do.

I take out every oven for a hob inspection, 2 mins work!

Gas rate a hob on a CP12, that's news to me! Each individual burner or all on at once? What's it gonna tell you if you haven't got the mi's?

Ventilation, flame picture, operating pressure are the essentials for safety. Then you do a visual on proximity to combustibles etc. There's a list of the 'have to do's' on the back of the safety certificate... As long as you know it's got adequate gas and the burner ain't dancing like a snake charmer, you're not gonna kill the custard ... Main issue I've ever come across with Hob's is reduced BP when the boiler comes on and no FSD! OH, and swimming with grease!!!! lol

I particularly dislike the ones which are shrouded in tin foil...

This is against regs and classed as at risk as gas can build up under the foil,get loads of far eastern tenants do it,unhappy when I take it off

imho

Why do people do that??? Any one know?

Get quite a lot of hobs with only one or two burners working. Grease got so thick it's spilt into the pre aeration chamber and blocked the injectors!! Dirty begga's :puke:

Oh and I've yet to see a fsd on a hob too, maybe I'm missing something?

obviously gas rating it will tell you if its using the right amount of gas, but normally you can tell when the thing starts using too much gas by looking at the flame picture, it may only take 2 minutes to pull out a oven but you need a shower after :/

Yeah but I've been to leaks on an orange LPG hose on natural gas that had fallen off with no jubilee that was checked 3 months earlier.

what does that mean ? how about this, i did a cp12 and a month later the gas pipe under the floor was leaking, do i rip up floors everytime i do a cp12, no! so why should i start pulling ovens apart ? not to say a dont

Yeah but I've been to leaks on an orange LPG hose on natural gas that had fallen off with no jubilee that was checked 3 months earlier.
I bet you that gas rate was through the roof!! :rofl: (tongue in cheek)

I've been to several explosion incidents, CO poisonings and house fires with the HSE, but who's braggin!!! Only ever gas rated the grille of an oven at a CO incident! Flame picture was as floppy as a grannies mammary gland .. lol

im i right in thinking the only time a hob gives of co is when someones been messing with the jets and fat is all over the shop and you either get flame lift off or no flames at all due to lift off and fat..

if its nice and blue i dont see any point

Flue Gas Analyser??

Always confuses me why a consumer would need a means of isolation for a gas hob !

And dont forget most fancy modern kitchen designers put a gas hob over a drawer. Most MI require a fireproof board fitting beneath the hob to protect contents of the drawer/ customers hands.

personally i think you would want to read the data badge on the appliance to check its heat input, it is correct for gas type, and ce marked. then you can gas rate it, simples. Most u gauge hoses dont fit over nipples very well so working pressure can be unreliable sometimes.

means of isolation is for engineer to perform work on appliance not for customer to turn off.

Last edited:
im i right in thinking the only time a hob gives of co is when someones been messing with the jets and fat is all over the shop and you either get flame lift off or no flames at all due to lift off and fat..

if its nice and blue i dont see any point

it wont produce co if there are no flames at all :)

there are more things to consider then just cooking fat, like gas rate, incorrect injectors, incorrect fretts/burners, poor ventilation etc... etc...

Last edited:
If your doing testing of a gas appliance, you must do a gas rate or operating pressure or both where appropriate (Gas safety installation & use regs 26(9)). Gas rate is an absolute pain, so what I do is as follows: I have made up a fitting, using a gas jet soldered to an 8mm copper pipe. I unscrew one of the jets on the hot plate and screw in my adapted fitting. I connect my manometer to this and carry out the operating pressure. This works on most gas hobs and cooker I come across.

Every appliance should have a means of isolating it, how do you test the pipework if you can't isolate an appliance? Especially if you're hunting a drop. And you need to record the make and model on the CP12 so most of the time you have to slide the oven out to read the data badge as most markings have rubbed off the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CP12 on a gas hob in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock