Search the forum,

Discuss Corrosion since drain down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just over a year ago I had a leak on one of the valves on my Boilermate 2000, so it was drained down and a new valve fitted.

On drain down, the water looked quite clean.

British Gas did the job and refilled the tank, but with no inhibitor, as apparantly that 'isn't part of the job'. Also I didn't think at the time to bypass the water softener we have fitted, so it was filled with softened water.

I complained about the lack of inhibitor to BG but all they would offer is a return visit to add it if I purchased it.

After a couple of weeks I added it myself, draining a few litres out and then adding 2 x bottles of Sentinel X100.

All is working fine apart from a clunk from one radiator when the heating cuts in. I thought I would bleed it thinking there might be some air trapped although there were no cold spots. I think it may have done this before but I can't remember.

I noticed that the water is now quite dark, similar to Coke.

Is it a cause for concern? Could it be linked to the previous drain down with softened water? X100 is ok with softened water according to the manufacturer.

Any thoughts appreciated.

The clink is probably caused by the control valve on the radiator being installed on the return and not the flow.

Which valve heats up first - the valve that goes clunk or the one on the other side?

Thanks.

The valve is on the correct side. It's always set to maximum and heats up evenly so it's not really an issue.
I was more concerned when bleeding that the water was quite brown despite having ample X100. It was quite clear when draining just over a year ago.

Would the drain/refill have contributed by stirring it up? It seems Boilermate thermal stores do seem to be affected by sludge etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Corrosion since drain down? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve recently cleaned my central heating system with Sentinel X400 cleaner, flushed it out clear, refilled & added Sentinel X100 inhibitor. After a couple of months, I went to the loft to check the feed & expansion tank, open the lid, there’s some kind of white/yellowish fungus/growth floating...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to sort all of my rads and do some other bits including fitting a filter but I'm stumped on how to drain down due to how the system is put together...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
A bit of history first. 2 yrs ago visited a grant boiler with boiler and pipework kettling. I added SentX200 noise reducer. It is standard open vented system S plan Also found there was no bypass and this was an external boiler with frost stat so boiler would start with no valves open...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock