Discuss Corrosion in new copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have been looking for instances of unexpected pinholes in new copper pipe. I have asked this before but we are up to our fifth leak.
Firstly, it is not flux. This is a traditional response from the plumbing community, but it isn't.
Secondly, it is not 'poor quality' copper or old copper from the 70's.
This is new from a top UK supplier.

I suspect that many pinholes are dismissed as 'flux' or 'poor copper' and simply replaced without realisation of the true root cause, and I suspect that the problem is going to become steadily worse as levels of phosphates are increased.

The EU Drinking Water Directive has mandated that ortho-phosphates be added to supplied water to reduce the level of lead pickup from old lead pipework. The levels were reduced even more in December 2013.

95% of UK water is now phosphate dosed.

However, this has had the effect, in borehole water areas of making the normal 'patina' that forms inside the copper pipe to be come friable and flake off exposing the 'naked copper' and corrosion quickly sets in (a matter of months or a couple of years from new). It is called Type 1 pitting.

A pinhole appears and water loss results.

I repeat that it is not flux and I am looking to hear of these 'unexplained' pinhole leaks please.

Many thanks.

are you on a private water supply, sometimes these sources are quite acidic and eat through copper, as do some areas in the country, I see a lot of immersions in cyls destroyed in a year or less in one area I work in, presumably down to the water.

It's Thames Water actually but the key is 'borehole water'. Most UK water comes from 'surface water' (rivers feeding reservoirs) and this contains organic material (despite the filtering). This 'protects' the copper (or rather the protective patina) from the phosphate. Borehole water is very pure and carries little organic material.

Had one instance in a barn conversion couple of pinhole leaks, not flux related.
Ended being a complete gut and start again on the insurance as wrecked all the studwalls and oak flooring

remove all copper and install stainless steel pipework would be the best answer

I ask the question to try and determine how widespread this problem is.

I feel it is almost a "scandal" maybe, brewing. Pinhole leaks are usually dismissed as 'flux' by the plumber, the customer has no idea why the leak occurred and accept flux as the cause, the insurer pays up and thinks no more of it, the makers of copper are rarely involved, but want all to be quiet and meanwhile there will be an ever growing number of these leaks with no-one putting two and two together.

We had an off the record meeting with the copper suppliers and they said they get up to 40 a year and there is one area supplied by one borehole where they recommend plastic above the ground floor because they have had so many ceilings down.

The first pipe failed at 41 months service life. The suppliers said that was a bit unusual as this failure normally manifests itself within 36 months. They replaced the pipes and another has failed at 43 months service life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Corrosion in new copper pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock