Discuss Corgi my bum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blayedrunner

Has a phone call, can you come move my cooker from 1 house to another. Sure i say, will be X amount as long as there is no fitting etc. Off i go to have a look at job, cooker has no stability bracket. I say you will need one of those in the new house and leave.

2 hours later, phone call, why do i need a stability bracket, have spoken to the guy who installed it an he is corgi registered and he says you dont need 1. I say hahahahahahahaha with all due respect errrrr NO. She then asks to see my gas safe badge as she thinks i'm ripping her off.

Next morning I get a phone call saying sorry etc etc, she has done research and im right!!!!

GRRRRRRRR Customers do my nut in!!!!!!

Bet she's looking on ebay right now to see if she can get a stability bracket cheaper than the £4 or so you quoted.

Yeah i mean i said £5 for it!!!! Thought about just saying i dont want the work. But like all of us we need the money!!!!!

People know there's not much work and just try their luck more than ever these days. I won't ever budge on the price I give but people still try it on all the time even when I'm taking their money off them.

or when they give it the talk like you are practically robbing them in broad daylight of their hard earned cash when in fairness you charged a fair price for a good job

Yeah, I know what you mean, I replaced a diverter valve on a sime friendly boiler (now that's a misnomer!), I spent quite a bit of time checking everything and ordered the part, went back, fitted it, tested etc. Told the customer the price and when they were writing out the check he asked if there was anything I could do with the price? I said yeah, Ill put it up twenty quid if you want. Folk want everything for nothing these days.

Has a phone call, can you come move my cooker from 1 house to another. Sure i say, will be X amount as long as there is no fitting etc. Off i go to have a look at job, cooker has no stability bracket. I say you will need one of those in the new house and leave.

2 hours later, phone call, why do i need a stability bracket, have spoken to the guy who installed it an he is corgi registered and he says you dont need 1. I say hahahahahahahaha with all due respect errrrr NO. She then asks to see my gas safe badge as she thinks i'm ripping her off.

Next morning I get a phone call saying sorry etc etc, she has done research and im right!!!!

GRRRRRRRR Customers do my nut in!!!!!!

so who is her installer then ? and what is his gas safe ID ?? as his skills are questionable

people see the programs about rouge tradesmen, normally plumbers, on tv and then we are all in the same bracket, you cant sometimes blame customers for being unsure. The good thing is you may have increase her opinion of the trade for the better.

I really dont know how you can make money anymore. The prices I have been quoted for parts on the companys terms with the merchants, I can price match on the internet, if i have that info so does the customer, then they expect the labour at £15 an hour. i once had a customer have a go at me for diagnosing and fixing his boiler in 45 mins and charging him £60, so I asked him what he did for a living.......a bloody solicitor.

Lets hope so, when i questioned the Corgi not counting she said that he had not renewed his qualification. sounds like a story. But bottom line i was right an she realised.

she did but how many other dont just to save a few quid , is that all there lives are worth

I heard that Matt Alright off rogue traders say in one of his links.......why is it a plumber gets a part for £50, then charges the customer £150!!!! Errr insurance, tax, gas safe reg, training, petrol, time, uniform, tools

Yeah not wrong, got quoted £52 for diverter valve from a big plumbing based merchant. Looked on the net and got it for £28.... If i can they can. Just making less an less. When guys offer full installs inc rads for 2k or less we aint gonna make money!!!!!

I say we track down Matt Alright and make him answer for his crimes lol

I would think its a bit annoying when they state what you should be getting charged for a job, not thinking about the fact that depending on whereabouts in the country your from depends on what you charge 'london waiting' and all that

You won't catch him. He's too busy riding pillion with his hands down the rider's leather pants gripping on hard with that throbbing machine between his legs.

I seen that episode where the gas engineer put a 150% mark up on the part, maybe this is the same episode you are referring to.....but that guy was a prat he was just a rip off merchant, I can't even put a markup on my materials on some jobs anymore....usuall 15-20% would be the going rate but with the internet now I don't blame customers getting their own materials as I saved myself a good bit of cash from getting materials off the internet aswell

I'm not bothered if a customer wants to try and source parts then they are welcome to, I always explain that if they decide this is the route they want to go down, then they better be the correct part and if it fails then its their problem. If i fit a part then its got a warranty. If they supply the part then I only supply the labour. If someone doesnt like it then I walk away, after all I'm not the one who hasn't got heating/hot water.
I've even had people ask me to buy a part using my trade discount before, they don't usually like the response.

i got charged 30 quid admin charge for moving energy supplier, how much of a mark up i that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Corgi my bum in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our boiler has started making a noise on start up and when it kicks in and out engineer says it’s an ignition coil bracket and nothing to worry...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hi. Please can anyone help. My mum has just sent me this video of her airing cupboard. She had put the imersion heater on to warm the water for a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and joined specifically to try to get an answer to my question. I have an 88yo mother-in-law who is recently...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock