Search the forum,

Discuss Copper Tap Connector will not fit tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to plumb copper to my bath valves rather than flexible hoses as this is a job I only want to do once. I tried 3 local shops for some 15mm x 3/4" solder ring tap connectors and eventually found some.

Unfortunately the hole in the bottom of the bath valve has a smaller diameter (ID 17.1mm) than the end of the fitting (OD 19mm);the valve outlet on the side is even smaller (ID 15.2mm). I have a photo but the site will not allow me to insert it.

So my question is:

• Can I cut/file off that bit of the connector, that would insert into the fitting, flush with the ring onto which the nut tightens or will this weaken the ring too much?
  • Am I likely to be able to locate a copper tap fitting with a narrower end?
  • If I were to use a 3/4 x 15 flexible copper stick am I likely to have the same problem?

Here's the photo ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418159043.214990.jpg

thats because the tap end is designed for a flexi connector, it has a flat face for the rubber washer to work properly. New taps required dont be messing with trying to make a comp fitting work with that or you'll end up crying.

Whenever I come across that problem, I just cut the raised bit off the tap connector with a hacksaw. Then finish with a file and emery cloth. Bit of paste on the washer and Alls good.

Whenever I come across that problem, I just cut the raised bit off the tap connector with a hacksaw. Then finish with a file and emery cloth. Bit of paste on the washer and Alls good.

I wouldnt have you in my home :)

So workable options are the 3/4 female iron, cutting the raised bit off or using a flexi for which the tap appears to be designed for.

I know flexi is easy and easy is seldom best but what are the downsides of cutting the raised bit off.

Strange how my in-laws new build house is all plastic and flexi yet I feel I should copper it all the way

So workable options are the 3/4 female iron ................do it right,

what are the downsides of cutting the raised bit off................watch it leak

I feel I should copper it all the way and watch it last for years n years

Unfortunately the thread on the female irons is too long for the valve so the washer will not seat. It looks like I either use flexis or find some new valves to feed the overflow filler that will take a copper connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Copper Tap Connector will not fit tap in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock