Discuss Copper pipe stretchers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Do the Pipe stretches work
1565335651368.png

Do these things work?

As above that's for refrigeration where the tube wall is thicker and the pipe is softer.

There was a tool in the late 60's for plumbing that expanded the pipe and came with a bag of solder rings that dropped into the expanded part, creating a capilliary fitting.

You can get pipe expanders for plumbing applications and at one time was common practice, they do work but with today's thin walled copper they are considered a risk. Personally I'd just stick to using end feed sockets.

I still have a 15mm and 22mm Monument Swaging Tools and use them on contemporary pipe. They bell out the pipe and do away with a straight coupling. I think they look neat. And you can make a slip coupling if required. CentralheatkingView attachment 39944

Still got and occasionally use mine when going on to old pipework.

I’ve got the monument sagging tool you use with a hammer but find it quite slow/hard work. It’s easier if you de burr the pipe to start. I’ve got a set similar to attached imagine at work. I think they may be Sykes Pickvant I think. A lot quicker/easier and no risk of belting your hand with a hammer.

FDE60D38-5DBD-4E72-A7A9-9CC8E3B8E805.jpeg

Reply to Copper pipe stretchers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Back