Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Copper pipe into wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sconned

I need to install 22mm copper supply pipe from gas meter to boiler. I intend creating a channel at the base of my walls. This is where the plasterboard has stopped at about 25mm above the floor and thermalite is exposed. Is it okay for me to push the copper pipe up against the thermalite and below the plasterboard naked or will I need to protect the pipe from corrosion ? ( not from sharp points which I will smooth out )

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Sconned,

I'm not sure how much help you'll get with that question unless you let us know your GSR number.

T

Suddenly no reply.... Do people not carry bpec/viper books, it's all in there!

i would be concerned if you needed to read a viper book to know how to or not to run a gas pipe as being questioned here. Im sure the opening posters gas safe engineer will know the answer to the question and be able to install the pipe correctly.

Yes I would be concerned to. But I'm sure if the opening poster
was Gsr he would own a book to look up the answer that's all.

Haha. Well that poster now has his answer! Buy a nuts magazine! ;)

id install my pipework into lucy pinders gap......below here plasterboard regs or not!!

Yes I would be concerned to. But I'm sure if the opening poster
was Gsr he would own a book to look up the answer that's all.
Sorry, I'm not GSR, but I am Six Sigma Black belt and B.Eng(Hons) in Mechanical Eng. So I know a little bit about engineering and how and where to find answers if you don't know them. Going by your reply no GSR would need to use this site because all the answers to everything are in the Viper book. Now, the person fitting the pipe is GSR and he said he'd never known of any issue with the copper pipe touching breeze block naked before. But then a Company I use in my workplace suggested covering the pipework with yellow tape. Firstly to protect it and secondly to advise anyone working in that region in the future that the pipe carries gas. I was in a situ' where GSR who'd done about a 6 week course on domestic installations is suggesting one thing. A time served, degree qualified Transco Contract Manager was saying another. I was after clarification. But, if you didn't want to answer the question why didn't you just ignore it and go and play with your Nuts ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because there was suspicions you wernt gsr. How do we know you aren't going
to just do that job yourself???

how many times have people come on here asking for information without giving all the facts pertinent to the situation?

That's true Steve!
To all you suspicious plumbers, I have absolutley no intention of doing such a job myself. I am an Estate Sevices Engineer on a major automotive site and I know what I can and cannot do. Whether I can physically run a length of copper pipe from meter to boiler and soldering 6 pieces of 2m long 22mm dia was not the question. I merely asked if anybody knew if I needed to cover the copper pipe with something to protect it. After reading some related strings it appears that no-one on the site really knows and GSR after GSR contradict each other ; just like the GSR Installation Engineer (LOL) I am using. Anyway, I've asked a 60year old skilled tradesman on our site and he says nothing is at risk from corrosion as all the walls and boarding I am going below and against are 3 years old. But he said he would apply yellow tape with arrows showing the direction of flow onto regular sections of the pipe for future reference and information. Job sorted.

what about the risk of gas ingress behind the platerboard creating an explosive situation? what ventilation may be needed to stop a dangerous build up of gas if a leak occurs? should it have mechanical protection? the position you want to run the pipe is wrong before you even consider corrosion protection. common sense wouldtell you not run a gas pipe as you have discribed but its your and your engineers choice.

As regards the replys you have gotten, there are many posts from people asking questions that are obviously going to do gas work themselves. We do not know you, you have not been a member for a long time so if you cant see that we would rather not answer gas related questions unless you prove your are a competent person then im sorry but that the way it is.

building compounds like plaster and sand/cement does corrod copper btw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Copper pipe into wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock