Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss cooker points in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikegas

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi ive got a lanldord that wants me to provide evidence with regards to the height of cooker points, i know its in british standards, but can anybody tell me what number?

also he seems to think its the responsibility of the tenant to have the cooker point adjusted to suit the mi of the cooker, he said he just has to provide a cooker point at any height, is this correct?

he's not being arsey about it he just wants proof.

Not sure what BS it is but its the tenants respnsibility to get the cooker point up to spec - a landlord does not have to provide a form of cooking so its up to the tenant. I worked in social housing for 4 years and did lots of chargable cooker work.

bs. 6172;2010

5-600mm from floor and 50-150mm from right hand side of cabinets i believe, but i could be wrong.lol.

It's 750mm from the floor it's the bs number I need, just to show him

From BS 6172
11.2.3 The location of the termination point shall be in accordance with the cooking appliance
manufacturer’s instructions, where this is specified.
COMMENTARY AND RECOMMENDATIONS ON 11.2.3

The termination point should be permanently attached to a firmly fixed gas installation pipe and positioned
such that the flexible connector hose hangs freely downwards (see Figure 2). The termination point should
be securely fixed to the wall by means of a backplate adaptor or suitable alternative. The termination point
should be securely fixed to the wall immediately behind the appliance
at a height of approximately 750 mm
from the floor, unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.
The termination point should be accessible for disconnection after mo
ving the cooking appliance.

There is no set position to fit a bayonet but sometimes the manu's state it must be fitted within a certain area. If this is the case then that is where it is fitted.
If no guidance is offered in the MI's use a bit common sense.
Generally no higher than 750mm (below the oven/grill vents) and far enough to the right to allow the hose to hang freely and be easily reached for disconnection.

Another point is use the correct type of winged adaptor
ie 0985.JPG
or 6047.JPG

and not a backplate elbow like this
7821.JPG

which are not suitable in most cases.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Tamz thanks for the info, cant access the pics

To be honest ive always fitted the the bottom ones, i'll fit the other type from now on, thanks for the help tamz

I use a street elbow in the side version of the top ones to keep the pipework tight behind the coooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cooker points in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Am I the only one struggling to find appliances' manuals online? I know it's hard enough with cookers and old gas fires but I've just been unable...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It...
Replies
Views
Hey all Looking for a consensus on an issue that has arisen. Disclaimer is that my ideal icos 12 boiler Is over 10 years old but has been...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock