Discuss Connection to a gas pipe that:s 50 years old in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
New gas meter ,no pressure drop, 3/4 imperial copper pipe which goes under a concrete floor to a free standing cooker approx 3m pipe run which comes out the floor in 3/4 copper ,pressure and gas rate fine.OAP has bought new free standing cooker and wants it fitted. NO pipe work to any other appliance except cooker.To install a new gas supply to the cooker would cost a lot of money with the kitchen layout. What would you do ?

Why would you need a new gas line if existing is tight? Why can't you disconnect old cookery and connect new one.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

If its tight I would think it would be ok as long as you can attach new pipe to it, only you no if it seems like its in poor condition. If it wasn't a oap then maybe advise a new run but if they can't afford it and it's within the regs then leave it.

Yes as a gas safe engineer we can. However we have a responsibility to for gas pipe work and its condition and age not just a tightness test.

If it is gas tight and pressure/gas rate is to MI their shouldnt be a problem

I don't think that any GasSafe registered person with any sort of experience would be asking this
question.

If the pipe going in and coming out is in good condition and all other tests prove positive the why
on earth would you want to run new pipework?

If you were doing a landlords certificate on the property would you condemn it because it is old?

Why i have 30 years experience and love to ask questions from all those who can help.I love to ask questions from people who no it all !HA I love to give questions that give a direct responce:hurray:

Just because a gas pipe passes a gas tightness test it doesn't mean its safe and god forbidden anyone who thinks that. As a a gas safe engineer i thought that a drop test would have given a different reaction to common sense in this forum

Just because a gas pipe passes a gas tightness test it doesn't mean its safe and god forbidden anyone who thinks that. As a a gas safe engineer i thought that a drop test would have given a different reaction to common sense in this forum

Spoken like a true mercenary :smile:

so because it is old it needs replacing?god help your grandparents.but seriously if the run is safe and passes all tests ie visual/tightness (okay so you have no x-ray specs for the pipework under the concrete floor)why would you want to replace it?as mountainman says A strange question from a competent person.enlighten us then if we are missing something,as i have only 17yrs to your 30 so may not be as experienced as you.however in my opinion if it passed aforementioned tests i would just make good the connections to the cooker point to allow installation of new appliance.

Your not making sense mate! You must have been an electrician or tiler in you past life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connection to a gas pipe that:s 50 years old in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back