Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting gas fired generator to mains gas in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I've had an idea to use a gas fired generator running on mains gas to top up a large off grid battery bank when solar power is insufficient. Can anybody tell me if this is legal in the UK? Mains gas is much cheaper than electricity per kwh and the fact I've never heard of anybody doing the same raises concerns as to its viability. Any advice on potential future legislation effecting this kind of setup would also be gratefully recieved. Any work needed would be carried out by an accredited engineer if its legally doable.

What kw is the generator? As its an outdoor appliance I'm curious if you could hook it up to a micro point.

It's likely designed for LPG though so would need to speak to the manafacturer to see if it can be converted to Natural gas

What kw is the generator? As its an outdoor appliance I'm curious if you could hook it up to a micro point.

It's likely designed for LPG though so would need to speak to the manafacturer to see if it can be converted to Natural gas
I'm pretty sure the back up one I have at the moment is either 4.3 or 4.8kw, it's not sized for this setup specifically it's just the one I have I could buy one sized to suit. Yes it is designed for LPG I would have to look into the conversion futher. I want to know if its legal to hook the mains feed up to a generator before I go any futher really.

Yes natural gas powered generators connected to the gas main are used, mainly for CHP in commercial buildings.
The problem you will have is finding a small Natural gas powered generator at a price that makes economic sense.

And you'll need a Gassafe Engineer with CGLP1 (3 - 24kw generators) category to comission and maintain it.

Last edited:

Reply to Connecting gas fired generator to mains gas in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock