Discuss Connecting flexible tap tails to isolation valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all.
Just discovered the flexible tap tails are too short to reach the isolation valves by about 60mm. When I did the same type of job at my house, I learnt that using a tap tail connector is better than connecting directly to the iso valve, with its sharp edge. However, these are too short to make up the 60mm difference.
So, can a I use a radiator valve extension such as this
https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-15...SJK6BM4mDFV1N6M8mxPfgIwoePj1Ul4RoCgnQQAvD_BwE

I tried looking for longer 500mm tap tails, but no one seems to sell them. Well, there are placed on eBay and Amazon, but I worry about quality.

Anyone got any ideas.
Many thanks
D

ae235.jpeg

Or just extend the pipe from your iso valves (using the iso valves nut and olive to connect) and then use a male straight fitting (1/2” x 15mm) if connecting to a tap flexi that has the nut and flat rubber washer end

Hi all.
Just discovered the flexible tap tails are too short to reach the isolation valves by about 60mm. When I did the same type of job at my house, I learnt that using a tap tail connector is better than connecting directly to the iso valve, with its sharp edge. However, these are too short to make up the 60mm difference.
So, can a I use a radiator valve extension such as this
https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-15...SJK6BM4mDFV1N6M8mxPfgIwoePj1Ul4RoCgnQQAvD_BwE

I tried looking for longer 500mm tap tails, but no one seems to sell them. Well, there are placed on eBay and Amazon, but I worry about quality.

Anyone got any ideas.
Many thanks
D

View attachment 35457

They will be fine.

Get WRAS approved flexible tap tails form BES. Quality should be good. And if your tap tails are speedshit, then speedshit onto chrome is a no no.

Hi Cos. Did you mean replace the flexible Monobloc tap tails with your suggested speedfit Flexi tap connector. 15mm X ½"?
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't see how they would work. There appears to be no 10mm thread to connect to the tap and they are only 300mm long. The ones currently in use are 400mm long and around 60mm too short.

And to Best..
Was my suggestion doable? I've just noticed it reads 15mm x 15mm and not 15mm X ½". I'm confused by the measurements

15mm would refer to a compression or speedshit connexion. 1/2" would be a BSP threaded connexion as you would usually find on the isolators.

Get WRAS approved flexible tap tails form BES. Quality should be good. And if your tap tails are speedshit, then speedshit onto chrome is a no no.
Hi. Thanks. Do BES do 500mm long ones? I remember seeing there site, but was unsure about the company.
Ta

Hi Cos. Did you mean replace the flexible Monobloc tap tails with your suggested speedfit Flexi tap connector. 15mm X ½"?
Forgive my ignorance, but I don't see how they would work. There appears to be no 10mm thread to connect to the tap and they are only 300mm long. The ones currently in use are 400mm long and around 60mm too short.

And to Best..
Was my suggestion doable? I've just noticed it reads 15mm x 15mm and not 15mm X ½". I'm confused by the measurements

I meant use a 15mm x 1/2” male straight.
The threads are actually 1/2” both sides, but one end has a flat face which will suit flat washer end of flexi.
Other end is for 15mm copper

Thanks, again. Does that mean my suggested 15x15 radiator tail would not fit the compression iso valve?
Ta

It will fit it. A radiator rail is actually 15mm ‘pipe’ and with a 1/2” male thread end

900mm even. The BES website is pretty poor, so I phone in my orders these days and use the catalogue. If you get a WRAS one you shouldn't go far wrong.

I meant use a 15mm x 1/2” male straight.
The threads are actually 1/2” both sides, but one end has a flat face which will suit flat washer end of flexi.
Other end is for 15mm copper
Haha. Blinking ek, I'm more confused now. Haha t
"The threads are actually ½" both sides...other end is for 15mm.
What is actually being measured at ½" if it's a 15mm pipe.
Sorry. I'm very curious and like to learn new stuff
D

It will fit it. A radiator rail is actually 15mm ‘pipe’ and with a 1/2” male thread end
But isn't designed for potable water, probably. And won't serve a purpose: if the point of using a rad tail valve is to avoid putting a 1/2" threaded flexi onto a thread that's really designed for a compression olive, then I can't see the advantage of screwing onto a thread that's really designed for putting into a radiator and thread sealing. It's possibly a taper fitting too.

900mm even. The BES website is pretty poor, so I phone in my orders these days and use the catalogue. If you get a WRAS one you shouldn't go far wrong.
Thanks. I'll give them a buzz tomorrow. I'm wondering if longer monobloc tails would be easier or wiser. But then, I bet some rad tails would be cheaper.

1/2" is 1/2" BSP thread. So called because the nominal bore of steel pipe onto which such thread would be cut (still used in commercial heating applications) is 1/2". Welcome to plumbing :)

Right. So you have a monobloc tap with 10mm thread? Would have been useful to put that in your opening post. Anyway, it's late. I'm going back to my Charlotte Bronte novel and then bed.

But isn't designed for potable water, probably. And won't serve a purpose: if the point of using a rad tail valve is to avoid putting a 1/2" threaded flexi onto a thread that's really designed for a compression olive, then I can't see the advantage of screwing onto a thread that's really designed for putting into a radiator and thread sealing. It's possibly a taper fitting too.
Welcome to plumbing you say...
I wish I'd never asked now. Haha.
You lost me with this post. I can only imagine it was for meant for those other contributors, who actually know something. Haha
Thanks again.

Right. So you have a monobloc tap with 10mm thread? Would have been useful to put that in your opening post. Anyway, it's late. I'm going back to my Charlotte Bronte novel and then bed.
Oops. Yes, you're right. But hey, that would have been sensible and far too easy. Enjoy Charlotte Brontë. Are listening to Kate Bush whilst reading?

No. It was for you.

In simple terms, a rad valve tail might be made of materials not designed for use with drinking water and could potentially contaminate not only the water you drink, but that which your neighbours drink.

I was pointing out that using a rad valve tail to avoid screwing onto an isolator doesn't really achieve anything.

Plumbing is complicated. That's why it's a trade and why we spend ages learning it. Then some people complain we're expensive, and spend a day doing a job we could do in an hour because they lack the knowledge we try to have.

Nah. I can't read and listen to music that has words. Sometimes classical, but I often prefer silence.

And to Best..
Wouldn’t put 2 flexi’s together. Extend the copper onto the tap flexi

No. It was for you.

In simple terms, a rad valve tail might be made of materials not designed for use with drinking water and could potentially contaminate not only the water you drink, but that which your neighbours drink.

I was pointing out that using a rad valve tail to avoid screwing onto an isolator doesn't really achieve anything.

Plumbing is complicated. That's why it's a trade and why we spend ages learning it. Then some people complain we're expensive, and spend a day doing a job we could do in an hour because they lack the knowledge we try to have.

Nah. I can't read and listen to music that has words. Sometimes classical, but I often prefer silence.
You won't be listening to wuthering heights then???

Good points. The rad valve tails do match up well though.
I use male fittings, but have used rad tails somewhere.

Hi. Do these male couplers have a flat face to connect the end of the flexible Monobloc tap tail?
In the past I've noticed that some iso valves have a sharp face, so I've bought tap tail adapters when connecting flexi Monobloc tails.

Hi. Do these male couplers have a flat face to connect the end of the flexible Monobloc tap tail?
In the past I've noticed that some iso valves have a sharp face, so I've bought tap tail adapters when connecting flexi Monobloc tails.

If you have the nut with flat rubber washer on end of your tap flexies, then yes, the male fitting has the flat face and same threads

Low lead content? I didn't think brass contained lead either, but apparently it can...

A small amount of lead improves the properties of brass significantly:

Aviva Metals

I believe, but am not sure, that the reason old taps and float valves have much longer working lives than modern ones is that they were made from leaded-brass.

Last edited:
Even if it did it would hardly be if any significant amount to be a concern.
Think of all the lead mains still in use.
I used to think that about lead soldered joints. Apparently the fact that the lead is in contact with copper means electroytic action can take place and then lead is released. Being sceptical though, I wonder, if that's the case, whether it wouldn't result in joint failure, which is doesn't seem to.
However, bear in mind all plumbing work has to comply with the Water Regulations by law, and, by law, that means fittings should be suited for drinking water. I'm not sure, therefore, that I can advise anyone should use a radiator tail on drinking water with a clear conscience.

Low lead content? I didn't think brass contained lead either, but apparently it can...

Brass has to contain lead to be classified as Brass.

The lead content improves the workability of brass. More lead = longer tool life and faster machining = lower cost of production. :oops:

Currently, unlike much of the rest of the civilised world, Britain does not require its brassware to be constructed of low lead brass. Low lead brass is, if memory serves, is around 2%. Most brass fitting we import are more like 10% cos they are cheaper. In California they have legislated for 0.2% (I think) but its bl00dy expensive to use and produce with so, they are so concerned about citizen health, they've changed the test to see how much lead leaches into the water. Hell why not, it's only brain damage! :rolleyes:

The rest of the world has been studying this for years. We are a good 25 years behind. In the far east they discovered years ago that the lead from solder posed more of a hazard to public health than fittings - by an order of magnitude! That is why much of the far east is going towards solely using non permeable plastic.

HTH

Reply to Connecting flexible tap tails to isolation valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back