Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Connecting flexible tap tails to isolation valve in the Plumbing Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. jrtrrror

jrtrrror Member

Hi all.
    Just discovered the flexible tap tails are too short to reach the isolation valves by about 60mm. When I did the same type of job at my house, I learnt that using a tap tail connector is better than connecting directly to the iso valve, with its sharp edge. However, these are too short to make up the 60mm difference.
    So, can a I use a radiator valve extension such as this
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-15...SJK6BM4mDFV1N6M8mxPfgIwoePj1Ul4RoCgnQQAvD_BwE

I tried looking for longer 500mm tap tails, but no one seems to sell them. Well, there are placed on eBay and Amazon, but I worry about quality.

Anyone got any ideas.
    Many thanks
    D

ae235.jpeg

2. Fos

Fos New Member

3. Best

Best Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

Or just extend the pipe from your iso valves (using the iso valves nut and olive to connect) and then use a male straight fitting (1/2” x 15mm) if connecting to a tap flexi that has the nut and flat rubber washer end

4. Mrb

Mrb New Member

They will be fine.

5. Ric2013

Ric2013 Plumber Top Contributor!!

Get WRAS approved flexible tap tails form BES. Quality should be good. And if your tap tails are speedshit, then speedshit onto chrome is a no no.

6. jrtrrror

jrtrrror Member

Hi Cos. Did you mean replace the flexible Monobloc tap tails with your suggested speedfit Flexi tap connector. 15mm X ½"?
    Forgive my ignorance, but I don't see how they would work. There appears to be no 10mm thread to connect to the tap and they are only 300mm long. The ones currently in use are 400mm long and around 60mm too short.

And to Best..
    Was my suggestion doable? I've just noticed it reads 15mm x 15mm and not 15mm X ½". I'm confused by the measurements

7. Ric2013

15mm would refer to a compression or speedshit connexion. 1/2" would be a BSP threaded connexion as you would usually find on the isolators.

8. jrtrrror

jrtrrror Member

Hi. Thanks. Do BES do 500mm long ones? I remember seeing there site, but was unsure about the company.
    Ta

9. Best

I meant use a 15mm x 1/2” male straight.
    The threads are actually 1/2” both sides, but one end has a flat face which will suit flat washer end of flexi.
    Other end is for 15mm copper

10. jrtrrror

jrtrrror Member

Thanks, again. Does that mean my suggested 15x15 radiator tail would not fit the compression iso valve?
    Ta

11. Best

It will fit it. A radiator rail is actually 15mm ‘pipe’ and with a 1/2” male thread end

12. Ric2013

900mm even. The BES website is pretty poor, so I phone in my orders these days and use the catalogue. If you get a WRAS one you shouldn't go far wrong.

13. jrtrrror

jrtrrror Member

Haha. Blinking ek, I'm more confused now. Haha t
    "The threads are actually ½" both sides...other end is for 15mm.
    What is actually being measured at ½" if it's a 15mm pipe.
    Sorry. I'm very curious and like to learn new stuff
    D

14. Mrb

Mrb New Member

They will fit just fine.

15. Ric2013

But isn't designed for potable water, probably. And won't serve a purpose: if the point of using a rad tail valve is to avoid putting a 1/2" threaded flexi onto a thread that's really designed for a compression olive, then I can't see the advantage of screwing onto a thread that's really designed for putting into a radiator and thread sealing. It's possibly a taper fitting too.