Discuss Condensation In Bathroom With No Window - Best Extractor Solution? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

We recently had a ground floor bathroom/wet room finished off, It's about 3.6m long by 2.7m wide, tiled from floor to ceiling and has no window in there due to a future extension that will take place on the other side of the rear wall.

Unfortunately, i've Instantly noticed when showering that alot of condensation is forming on the tiles/mirrors and the room stays really wet and humid in there for hours afterwards, which even with the fact we jackoboarded most of the room....its still giving me cause for concern. As I can see wet patches and mould forming on the grout already just a few weeks in.

As part of the bathroom fit, the spark did install a 4" Mentis, Axial type extractor fan in there (pictured). Though doing a bit of research online i'm thinking that this may be the problem as the fan looks quite weak. It has an extraction rate of 73 m3 per hour....and the ducting it's venting through is about 2.5m long...obviously with a right angle bend in it too.... which i've read could well be too long for this fan too?

Anyway long story short, i'm looking at swapping it out for something much more powerful, ideally without having to change the 4" ducting to 6". In-line types not an option as there's no access to the ceiling cavity without making a big hole everytime it hypothetically breaks down.... so i'm guessing from my basic research online that my best bet is to go centrifugal, or mixed type. Either something like the Vent-axia Lo Carbon Quadra/ Vent-axia lo carbon revive, or Airflow Icon60? all seem to have an extraction rate of 220 m3 per hour, so three times as powerful as what i've got now, so hopefully would solve this issue.

Love to get some input on this, am I on the right lines to solving this? are there other things I should be considering too? and has anyone used any of the models above and can comment on their experience? they're all quite expensive so would like to get it right!

pictures below for reference.

extractor_fan_pos.jpgIMG-0909.JPGIMG-0912.JPGIMG-0911.JPG

You need a vent / ventilation for the shower area as that fan isn’t doing nothing where it’s positioned

Also supply air is needed

The first thing you should be considering is, is there enough air getting into the bathroom to replace the amount you are currently trying to extract.
Is there a vent in the wall / door or is the bottom of the door cut to leave a gap, connecting with rooms ouside the bathroom.

I suspect you have a number of issues here

1. how long does the timer stay on for after the lights are switched off ?

2. how big is the gap under the door ?

3. what is the fan vent made of?

4. how is the room heated?

thanks for so many replies already folks, already things that i obviously haven't considered such as sucking air from outside the room.

I suspect you have a number of issues here

1. how long does the timer stay on for after the lights are switched off ?

2. how big is the gap under the door ?

3. what is the fan vent made of?

4. how is the room heated?

1) I've left the lights in for 2hrs after a shower to see whether the timer was the issue, still had misty mirrors and water on the tiles and grout / felt muggy when entering the room.

2) slightly undulated, 8mm at the most, 4mm at the worst.

3) looking from the outside of the property back through the external vent, it looks like a tin foil type, so i'd assume a flexible aluminium? It's circular too, not the flat type.

4) Two ways, there's a wall rad on the right hand side between the basin and door. and it has an electrical type UFH too. Though when using the bathroom so far i havent had either of these on.

One other thing i've just noticed, when I hold my hand over the external vent I should feel air coming through there when the fan is on right? obviously I appreciate the stupidity of that question but I'm just not feeling it....it feels slightly warm, but not as if it's blowing onto my hand.

Last edited:
The first thing you should be considering is, is there enough air getting into the bathroom to replace the amount you are currently trying to extract.
Is there a vent in the wall / door or is the bottom of the door cut to leave a gap, connecting with rooms ouside the bathroom.
No vent no, hadn't considered this. But I have showered once with the door wide open, didn't appear to make a huge amount of difference.

Reply to Condensation In Bathroom With No Window - Best Extractor Solution? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
I currently rent a flat but the bathroom does not have a window. Weirdly last year we had no issues but this year we have noticed mould spores on...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry this is so long. I have tried to give all relevant info. We are building a new, small, two-storey house that is off grid for power...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I've got a recurring really bad/strong smell coming exclusively from the 1st floor Master Bathroom and En-suite (Ground floor and top...
Replies
Views
En-suite shower room refurb needed in Twyford RG10, Berkshire before end January (overall dimensions: 335 x 157cm) ———————————— • Remove...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We are experiencing some problems with both our Showers in our home. We have two Showers - in the upstairs bathroom & in a wet room...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock