Discuss Combi boiler - hot on one tap cold on other? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm not a heating engineer but am hoping someone can help with this puzzle....

i had had a brand new combo installed within the last year. It works great but sometimes the mixer shower runs tepid. Not always though. However, if I turn the hot tap in the bathroom on and the shower heats up. This doesn't work if I turn the cold tap on.

more puzzling, the hot tap that I turn on to make the shower hot runs stone cold. But they both come from the same combi boiler. If I turn the her tap on on its own its is hot.

I cant ant work it out. Something is strange and I think it must be the way the pipes are plumbed but hope some one can help.

Thanks
neil

Is it a thermostatic shower?? I'd be more inclined to think the temp control valve in the shower is on the fritz and you're helping it to balance by opening the hot tap

Is it a thermostatic shower?? I'd be more inclined to think the temp control valve in the shower is on the fritz and you're helping it to balance by opening the hot tap

Hi, thanks for responding. That's an interesting point. It's like a mixer handle that you can twist to mix the hot and cold and I'm pretty sure it has some kind of passive thermostatic aspect to its control of the mixing. Does that make sense? But I'm just trying to work out why the running cold tap would then be stone cold when both feeds are coming from the boiler.

Thanks neil

It's really finger in the wind without eyes on mate. I've seen thermostatic cartridges do some weird things when they are slightly clogged is the hot tap you're turning on a stand alone hot tap or is it a mixer?

It's really finger in the wind without eyes on mate. I've seen thermostatic cartridges do some weird things when they are slightly clogged is the hot tap you're turning on a stand alone hot tap or is it a mixer?

No, it's stand alone. This morning the shower was fine and piping hot. Very frustrating. Appreciate your thoughts on what it might be anyway. Thanks

I'd still be looking at the cartridge in the shower mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi boiler - hot on one tap cold on other? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock