Discuss Cold water makes a lot of noise - excessive pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

omega_prime

Hi,

I am hoping I can do something about the excessive noise that cold water creates in my parents' house. It is ex-council and about 3-4 years ago we installed a shower, and as far as we can remember, prior to that we didn't have any loud noises like this.

I have provided some diagrams (please excuse the crudeness of it) and if you do need further explanation of my poor drawings please tell.

My initial thoughts were to use a drinking tap which will be a smaller pipe in itself and have them filters fitted to make use of the effort it would take but if I could avoid drilling into the sink to put a new tap in, it would be the better option.

s14.postimage.org/6z178ufc1/diagram_water_system.png
s14.postimage.org/rx7d6xf6p/photo_water_system.png

I can't add img url and the attachments would be too small for my diagram so sorry if this isn't fully abiding by the rules.

Have you tried to turn stopcock down slightly,if not this may help

Hi, yes we did try that but for whatever reason it didn't help

The noise, vocaroo.com/i/s0SH5GovUu6l

The microphone doesn't really give it justice but it sounds a lot louder in real life but it is that water noise. And this is recorded from my bedroom.

The only thing we did find that worked was having the tops on the bath and sink (upstairs) running to equal it out but still makes enough splatter noise nor is it really feasible way of doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

I have figured out something which I didn't really pay attention to before. The valve to the tap is extremely old and wasn't changed. Could anyone tell me what type of valve it is? It looks a little weird to me that it goes to an angle so quickly and has the drainage like system.

Image:
s10.postimage.org/f49qoun09/IMG_20130301_200030.jpg

Tried changing the valve going to the tap to them flexi pipes, didn't help at all so obviously that was wrong.

Does anyone else have a clue?

Call a plumber. If the noise wasn't there before you installed the shower and now it is, suggests something isn't right.

If you have an outside tap or washing machine valve you can put a pressure guage on it. Once you know the pressure, both static ( no taps running) and dynamic pressure (with tap running) you can then decide if a pressure reducing valve is needed. Anything above 3 bar will create more noise.

Call a plumber. If the noise wasn't there before you installed the shower and now it is, suggests something isn't right.

Well when I say 'we' we did actually get a plumber, however, he is a retired plumber that we knew but don't necessarily have a lot of contact with now. It may turn into an expensive job, which is the reason why I am not interested in doing it other than just trying out a few things, after all, it is just irritating rather than anything else.

If you have an outside tap or washing machine valve you can put a pressure guage on it. Once you know the pressure, both static ( no taps running) and dynamic pressure (with tap running) you can then decide if a pressure reducing valve is needed. Anything above 3 bar will create more noise.

Hi,

To add a pressure gauge must I do any cutting or can I just remove the link between the inside T junction leading to the outside tap?

Last edited by a moderator:
They do a pressure gauge on a flexi in screwfix or toolstation that fits. Just screw the flexi on the outside tap (unscrew the hose connector first). If a non return valve is fitted to outside tap ( identified by nut under tap body) then dont tighten flexi too tight, let it drip, or you will only get the static pressure.

Last edited:
They do a pressure gauge on a flexi in screwfix or toolstation that fits

Hi, ok, so doing a bar check near the end where the tap is, will give me enough indication about pressure throughout the entire system? so e.g. where I have changed that valve to a flexi valve, I could remove that and stick a pressure gauge and that would give me sufficient information?

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold water makes a lot of noise - excessive pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock