Discuss cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Fuzzy.
Haven't moved any pipes.
I'll have to fit a drain valve on the flow pipe in order to drag water thru.
Already have one on the return pipe.
Are you saying that, once I draw water thru both pipes, any air should be gone and the system should work as normal?
What worries me is that after working for 3/4 days air may be getting back into the system, or do you think I'm not actually purging the system of air and its the same air gradually returning to the pipe, causing a blockage?
Wouldn't an air vent cover that possibility?
When you talk about a poor vent inlet position, do you mean the pipe that hooks over the expansion tank in the roof?
If so, couldn't I extend that pipe to end underwater, so it couldn't suck in any air?
Thanks

i cannot ensure you that it will fix the problem but it will eliminate the problem being air.

fitting a aav could cause issues, if air is entering the system theres a problem, if you try to fix this by aav you will keep bringing in fresh water which is untreated and has fresh oxygen, therefore it will cause corrosion, not a good idea. aavs are only there to help initial filling

dont extend the pipe, it shouldnt suck in air, were is the vent (hooked pipe) inlet, cold feed to sysem and pump in conjunction with each other?

There is a vent pipe hooked over the expansion tank in the attic.
Directly below the expansion tank is the airing cupboard with a copper hot water tank, pump and 3-way valve.
The boiler is in the garage.
I think I need to shut the wheelhead valve on the flow side and then drain some water from the system, clearing it of air in the return pipe.
Then shut the lockshield valve on the return side and drain some water from the system, clearing it of air in the flow pipe.
Then I shouldn't have any air in those pipes.
You may be right that air is trapped in the return pipe which is stopping the circulation, and I thought it was in the flow pipe.
Thanks.

Hey PaulRB....let me know how it goes. I am trailing you trying to work this out.
I eventually got my rad to warm up by turning all other rads off but it took a loonnnngggg time and it didnt even get hot....just warm to the touch!!
Put the rads back on and kitchen rad still does not work.

whats the output of the new rad compared to the old rad?

im guessing that restriction in a towel rad is greater than normal rad which may restrict flow more than previous and contribute to it not/struggling to circulate

Thing is, I've shut off all the other rads and I've shut off just the towel rad and it still hasn't helped.
The new rad is a direct replacement for the old one.
I know from talking to people that this is a very common problem. A rad stops working for no apparent reason, usually when you switch on the heating for the first tine after summer.
Thanks

Can't really suggest anything that hasn't already been said other than fitting auto air vent is a bad idea. Yes if it is air it will work but when you move house it will be still there under the floor unseen and may cause a plumber agro!

Like the diy'er who tiled his bathroom floor over his c/h pump and a year later it needed replacing.

Nothing worse than working on a system thats been 'messed with'.

Get those carpets up Paul!

Sorry, haven't had time yet. Still gotta work!
I hope to have a go on Thursday.
Realise I don't need to put a draincock on the flow pipe, I'll just turn off the valve at the rad. That way I know when I drain some water from the return pipe it must be replaced with water from the return pipe, and hopefully will flush out any air in the pipe.
I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks

some drain off valve combinations require the return valve to be open, it may be difficult for you to ensure flow from the flow pipe if this were to be the case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cold rad in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I have a green star ten yrs old keeps increasing pressure, feel on off filling valve not working, drain off to recommended, but after few days...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock