Discuss Chrome pipe bending and filing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
whats the best and quickest method of filing off the chrome plating on chrome 15mm copper? And is chrome pipe bendable? Any method I need to adopt to bend it?

Doing a job next week fitting 10 new rads and the woman wants all rads to have chrome pipework coming up from floor.

Just a normal file will be ok

And yes any good quality chrome copper will be fine just take it slowly and do a test bend first

Just a normal file will be ok

And yes any good quality chrome copper will be fine just take it slowly and do a test bend first
You reckon a dremel will be ok to use? Need it to be quicker than a file

You reckon a dremel will be ok to use? Need it to be quicker than a file

Normally file it off in less than 30 seconds

You can use a grinder with a sanding disc if you want it sharpish

use a rasp, bahco do a handy one, fine file on one side and a coarse rasp on the reverse.

use a rasp, bahco do a handy one, fine file on one side and a coarse rasp on the reverse.
I'll see if I can grab one and have a bash at the weekend.. cheers Tolly

Some brands of chromed copper pipe are easier to file the chrome off than others. Use a new flat file, keeping it totally flat against the pipe.
Maybe best where possible to just use straight piece of chromed pipe and a soldered elbow, to save you having to do machine bends
If you do have to bend chromed pipe, - use some oil on the bender and pipe. Note that the manufacturer will not guarantee the pipe if you bend it.

I use a grinder with a metal blade. But tbh, as long as your back to bright copper, your sorted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chrome pipe bending and filing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. A couple of things. 1 am I better fabricating bends in 14 mm copper for my ch or are 90 degree elbows fine, ref flow, friction ect. 2...
Replies
Views
I'm retiling my bathroom, and so everything in this photo minus the copper pipes must be removed. Anyone familiar with these screw fittings that...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock