Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Chased pipes into wall. in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. Andrew Stride

Andrew Stride New Member

What is the minimum depth of plaster required to cover central heating pipes chased into a wall, my plumber has left about 1mm of space from the surface of pipes to the surface of the plaster, I'm doing the filling but I'm not an expert and 1mm don't seem enough to me. Can someone please advise me.

2. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Too shallow, the heat from the pipes will cause expansion and it will crack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. chris watkins

chris watkins Plumber

Deep enough so that with the expansion & contraction of the heating system the plaster will not crack & fall out.
    IMHO Heating pipes should not be chased into walls, I don't even like it when they put the plastic pipes behind dot & dab plaster board!!
    Whats the mater with surface runs & if you must then box them in or use a cover system, at least you know where they are in the future .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bogrodder

bogrodder Plumber GSR

Actually depends on the protective surface. If it’s 1mm above foam/ horsehair lagging.. it wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference. If it was 1mm above copper or tape wrapped copper then yes it would.

I thought I would clarify that for you again Craig

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Craig Watson

Craig Watson Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Clarify it for me again? Have we had this conversion before?

1mm is too thin regardless of what the pipes are wrapped in. It's simply too thin of a skim not to crack in any scenario.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Andrew Stride

Andrew Stride New Member

7. Andrew Stride

Andrew Stride New Member

Thanks Graig, much appreciated, looks like I will have to recall the plumber.

• Creative Creative x 1
  8. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Where’s the chase located

• Like Like x 1
  9. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

What finish do you want to achieve for this area.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Rob Foster

Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

This one comes up often. Pipes expand and contract with heat and pressure. Simply chased into the wall and plastered over
    is not correct. the finish will be compromised crack and eventually fall off. I always have
    pipes put into deep buried trunking ,then covered. Thats the best way re walls
    centralheatking

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. WC1

WC1 Active Member

Definitely too shallow as above, I'd speak to the plasterer youre getting in and ask exactly what he wants. Last thing you need is him not liking it when he comes to it after plumbers re done it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Best

Best Trusted Plumber

Pipes in plastic sleeve pipes if possible and I would say buried at least flush with the actual block/brick wall so you can have maximum depth of plaster.
    So typically minimum of about 12 or 15mm plaster imo

13. Andrew Stride

Andrew Stride New Member

The chase is located in the lounge, from ceiling to just above the skirting board.

14. Andrew Stride

Andrew Stride New Member

After it's been filled and smoothed over we were hoping for a painted finish.

15. AMGasServices

AMGasServices GSR

It’s best to sleeve the pipe and skim the wall and then skim over the pipes.