Discuss CH Pumps - stupid questions (?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PumpIt

Possible stupid newbie question coming up!

Q1. I've always wondered... WHY do Central Heating Pumps have such huge couplings on them?

I doubt many homes use pipes bigger than 22mm - but the couplings on all the pumps I've ever seen have about 40mm threads.
My guess is so you can change the pump by just shutting off valves either side and take it out without having to drain the system down - but how often is that needed! Just seems silly to me.

Q2. Do any pumps have 22mm (or even 15mm) couplings on them?

Cheers!
Mark.

Look very closely at domestic heating pump and tell me how you think you could make the connections smaller
I am sure the manufactures would love any comments you could come up with to make them small and save money
you would be their hero, yes as you say, stupid question, can you think of another one.

The inlet and outlet bore sizes along with the size of the impeller within the impeller bowl and the length of the shaft are all taken into account regarding the required output when designing a pump and it`s expected life span.

95% of pumps are sold as replacements. Why would you market a pump that wouldn't fit 95% of existing valve sets?

I think i would cry if i had to change a pump directly on 22mm. That five minute job has just turned into having to cut a section out when the pipes rigid...

Pumps are not necessarily very reliable, especially on systems with corrosion, so they can fail at any age. Besides, even if a pump lasts 20 years, you don't want a engineer coming out on a snow covered Christmas Eve & (if he could be bothered) having to spend 3 or more hours draining & refilling your heating system just to do a 10 minute pump replacement - do you? You wouldn't want the bill either!

Last edited:
more to the point, why didn't they think to put isolators on 2 port and 3 port valves as they are more likely to fail then pumps, were designed after pumps and they should of learnt from pumps and thought "what happens if this breaks??""

more to the point, why didn't they think to put isolators on 2 port and 3 port valves as they are more likely to fail then pumps, were designed after pumps and they should of learnt from pumps and thought "what happens if this breaks??""

They did, that's why the heads are removable without having to isolate water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CH Pumps - stupid questions (?) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock