Search the forum,

Discuss CH pipes in concrete floor - replace or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zsoltimatrix

Hi all,

I am in the process of refurbishing a 1965 detached bungalow. I have discovered that all the central heating pipes are buried inside the concrete floor. I am planning to put solid wood floor down, so I am wandering is it a good idea to leave the CH pipe work as it is or should I rebuild it with pipe drops from the loft on the walls with copper pipe?

To my best knowledge the pipe work is fine the way it is now, but I would hate to install the expensive solid wood flooring just to have to rip it all up when there is a leak from the CH pipe work.

What should I do, this really is making me go crazy? Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

depends how they have been done eg protected/ ducts but tbh i bet its been done with no protection and i would re new esp if you dont want to rip the floor up later on

If you have the chance and know how repipe them
If you have an open vented c/h system now and decide to upgrade to pressurised system later, you wont know how much grief you will save yourself

If you have the chance and know how repipe them
If you have an open vented c/h system now and decide to upgrade to pressurised system later, you wont know how much grief you will save yourself

Yep, I want to change the boiler to a combi boiler, so yes, I think you are right.

Thank you both for the fast reply!

When installing expensive flooring I would always err on the side of caution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CH pipes in concrete floor - replace or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
I am looking to replace an oldish boiler and hot tank with a combi boiler. The house dates from around 1968 and quite possibly the (copper) piping could be that old. I had someone round to give a quote and they said they would not recommend a combi boiler because the piping downstairs was buried...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber is coming back in a day or so to make necessary repairs. I am a little concerned as the house has a Boilermate 2000 on the upper floor and the...
Replies
Views
T
I have some internal water pipes (some plastic, some copper) that have to go under the kitchen floor. There is no way around having to do this. Rest of floor is concrete and pipes are currently in a trench (approx 5-6 cms deep, 4-5 cms wide). The trench will need to be concreted over before...
Replies
Views
TAGolko
T
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t look well piped , kinky in pipes in some places ,some of the rad don’t heat up too well , probably because of the badly piped system, the pipe is all...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind toilet. There's a concrete patio outside the bathroom, that extends about 10 feet from the wall. I'm considering adding an ADU in the back yard, and it...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock