Discuss Central Heating Filter's - Experiences, thoughts, reflections, tips n' tricks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is aimed at exploring members experiences, thinking and reflections - in the area of choosing and servicing CH filters (Magnaclean, Fernox etc).

I think there are many people that need help in selecting a filter that is worth choosing over the long term, but I also hope to open the discussion more broadly to include:

tips n' tricks - shortcuts, observations, suggestions and reflections

-that will help others on this subject.

Personally - I have a Vaillant - EcoTECH Plus 837 protected by an early Magnaclean Twintech - which, after three separate service kits - continues to leak profoundly.

My sincere thanks to any that choose to contribute.

Leonardo.

If a system is installed correctly, flushed of debris and flux at the outset, it doesn't need a filter. I am of course speaking from my own experience in my part of the world.

If it is existing and requires one, I like the Fernox metal bodied one. Having said that in 30 years I have installed 3 that I can remember on domestic and maybe a few more on Commercial but that's different of course.

Last edited:
Why don't they work? I put one of the first TF1s on an old boiler and it seemed to be picking up loads of rubbish. I can't imagine the new Fernox filters would be worse?

Why don't they work? I put one of the first TF1s on an old boiler and it seemed to be picking up loads of rubbish. I can't imagine the new Fernox filters would be worse?

Once I got on to the magnas I never moved back but TBH I tried all the spiro stuff , I have one on a very dirty system , I service it every year and it picks nothing up. Plenty of my pals say the same , may give a Fernox one a bash , but I doubt it .

If a system is installed correctly, flushed of debris and flux at the outset, it doesn't need a filter. I am of course speaking from my own experience in my part of the world.

If it is existing and requires one, I like the Fernox metal bodied one. Having said that in 30 years I have installed 3 that I can remember on domestic and maybe a few more on Commercial but that's different of course.

I would also like to include scenarios - where filters are being retrofitting to existing installations - or/and to systems where the boiler (only) is being replaced or renewed.

I put a Fernox Omega in a couple of months ago on an existing system. I'll have a look next time I'm at that house and see if it's picked up anything, now it's heating season.

I am a Magnaclean man simply because they work .
The spiros and a lot of the others are superb quality compared to the plastic Magnaclean but in my experience dont work .

The unique selling point that attracted me to the Magnaclean twintech - is that in addition to the magnetic filtration - the steel mesh acted as a filter for additional debris.

I'm not sure if the spiros deal with that extra debris well?

I thought the Spiros were primarily a filter and that the magnet was added after on the outside to please those who thought a filter wouldn't work without a magnet. That said, I don't really like the Spirotraps, I prefer Fernox filters. I think Magnacleans work but I would never fit another after the hash I made of installing one (in my own home) and the various leaks I've seen (though the one I fitted in my own home doesn't leak).

The main good thing about magna's is that the pro is big enough for the inhibitor without having to drain anything else. But I prefer the metal ones less chance of a leak,

I have fitted all the makes discussed above apart from the twin tec which are ugly and hard to conseal , to be honest the only ones i have had problems with is the old black Fernox TF1's they leak like a sieve and even after stipping , cleaning replacing the seals the only way to get them to seal is to apply silicone grease , i am fitting magna clean pro as my first choice filter if the space is available , saying that i have just installed the new Fernox omega TF1 all brass filter in my own home after replacing the boiler because it was compact enough to conseal and has a better magnet than say a spiro , different systems require carefull consideration before choosing and installing a mag filter , and nothing beats a chemical clean and a jet flush before the upgrade , do half a job and pay the price down the line . regards kop

I am a magna man all day long. I like to show customers that the filter is doing its job. Also nowadays, if a boiler doesn't have a filter it voids the warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central Heating Filter's - Experiences, thoughts, reflections, tips n' tricks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back