Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Cast iron rad piping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Turned up to fit rads for a customer today not aware of the fact that they were getting cast iron rads. The rads they have are reconditioned and have been sent away for sandblasting and repainting. They've come back and have f & r top and bottom on the left. Where it's been painted the stoppers are now locked in place so I run the risk of damaging the paint job getting them out. If I have to do that I will but before I do is it actually a necessity that I pipe this top and bottom on the left or can I convert this to bottom on both sides.

Sorry dont have a great deal of experience with cast

image.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
No fine as they are too flow bottom return as normal

Just flush it out before you install and watch the rad bleed screws when moving

Last edited:
No fine as they are too flow bottom return as normal

Just flush it out before you install and watch the rad bleed screws when moving

was meant to say flow top and bottom return :D

Thanks chaps The owner wants them piped up as modern radiators so she will have to deal with touching up the paint afterwards

You might find you have a great deal of trouble getting the end fittings out.

I would be hesitant in trying to remove the fittings and pipe up the rads as they are.

Chances are the first couple you alter will be easy, but there will be a some that will be absolute dogs to remove.

Proceed with caution!!!

It will either come out easy or will require heat putting on it

The problem with cast iron rads is that the seal is not done by the thread, it's done by a gasket, so the threads are exposed to the water in the system.

In the past, we have totally stuffed up threads and end fittings trying to remove them from cast iron rads.
You have to be careful how much heat you put on a fitting, because too much can cause damage to the gasket on the next section. The gaskets are generally of the paper type and don't like the heat that is requires to remove the end fitting.

Thanks guys

Pressure test them first tho just incase you need to replace a few gaskets as the sandblasting produces a bit of heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cast iron rad piping in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Excuse the length but this seems like a complicated fix. I lived in a 1930s block of flats. Brick building with concrete slab floors...
Replies
Views
Fitting a vertical rad after having hallway replastered and after a bit of digging about online, I have two options for plumbing it in as pipes...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in...
Replies
Views
Hello, We were due to have an air source heat pump installed on a grant scheme on Monday, with radiator size upgrade, but retrofitting using the...
Replies
Views
Sorry I have sort of asked this before, tried professionals but not great 1st experience hence DIY attempt attempt again. 2 completely cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock