Discuss Cast iron bath in a field, horse drinking..a water regs nightmare? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
I've been asked to fit a ballvalve to two old baths in a field for horses to drink. At the moment its just got hosepipe buried a few inches in the field jubilee clipped to the tap which is permenantly trickling in.

The stable owner is getting a water meter fitted and wants them to fill up and stop.

There needs to be as little brass on show as possible as pikeys raid the field, not to mention protecting pipes from freezing.

The more I think about it he more I think I should walk away?

I've been asked to fit a ballvalve to two old baths in a field for horses to drink. At the moment its just got hosepipe buried a few inches in the field jubilee clipped to the tap which is permenantly trickling in.

The stable owner is getting a water meter fitted and wants them to fill up and stop.

There needs to be as little brass on show as possible as pikeys raid the field, not to mention protecting pipes from freezing.

The more I think about it he more I think I should walk away?

walk away there are special items for the 4 leg kind

I replaced 3 for a friend in Ireland, normal part 1s but run in 20 mm alkathene over 4 fields. No problem. I had to walk through 2 feet of horse **** to get to them, who is going to go and complain about them.

I replaced 3 for a friend in Ireland, normal part 1s but run in 20 mm alkathene over 4 fields. No problem. I had to walk through 2 feet of horse **** to get to them, who is going to go and complain about them.

Easy to fit ballvalve but don't want Yorkshire water going round there to fit meter and seeing anything dodgy and coming back to me..

stake in the ground run poly up to back plate elbow and plastic ballvalve over the edge of the bath

To do this job properly its going to need at least 25 meters of MDPE underground before I even start.

Just checked the WRAS site, horse troughs are a category 5 backflow risk.

so required a break tank so the farmer will look at your estimate and say no so waste of time on your part tbh

Last edited:
She is an existing customer who leases the field for her horses, I've just texted her to say anything I do on this has to comply and it may be more trouble than its worth.

She is an existing customer who leases the field for her horses, I've just texted her to say anything I do on this has to comply and it may be more trouble than its worth.

and describe to her what you need to do

cast iron baths cause horrible injuries to horses and only idiots use them really. Hence why proper water troughs have nice rounded edges and a separate inlet area which protects the ball cock from damage by the animals. run away from idiot cheap skates

cast iron baths cause horrible injuries to horses and only idiots use them really. Hence why proper water troughs have nice rounded edges and a separate inlet area which protects the ball cock from damage by the animals. run away from idiot cheap skates

I've got 2 cast iron baths on my land for my horses that have never ever been a problem, as well as about 3 or 4 steel baths and 4 actual horse troughs (which the horses don't often use, they prefer the baths!). One of the cast irons was there when we bought the land and i'm sure it's been there and used for horse watering for about 20 years!! Not sure why i'm a cheapskate or an idiot so if you like you can explain?

I'd absolutely bloody love mains water to my land though! Make do with 4 x 600 litre tanks collecting rainwater running off the stables and barn. We use siphons to get it around!

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the cast irons was there when we bought the land and i'm sure it's been there and used for horse watering for about 20 years!! Not sure why i'm a cheapskate or an idiot so if you like you can explain?

I guess it would be because of the arguments on this page using a bathtub as a water trough? [Archive] - Horse and Hound Forums However I should add that I know very little about this subject and am certainly not calling you an idiot or a cheapskate :)

That thread mainly just reinforces that everyone has used them since the beginning of time with no trouble whatsoever.

Most yards i've ever been to use baths(iron + steel) as troughs and i've never ever heard of a horse being injured. My wife is an equine behaviourist for a living (as well as being a vegetarian animal rights enthusiast) and knows more about horses than anyone you'll ever meet. Our yard is almost constantly visited by other horse gurus/vets etc for her work and no-one has ever mentioned the fact we have metal baths everywhere.

If she uses baths then i'm pretty sure it's ok to use baths!

water board inspector walks into a field to inspect dodgy water troughs, horse comes over and says..........

why the long face??

everyone is an expert suddenly, just happen to have seen horses who have run into a cast iron bath when spooked and it wasnt pretty. So only speaking from my years of experience, only starting sitting on the beggars at 3 and havent stopped since. As for equine behaviourists, dont they just preach what most people who have any knowledge of horses do naturally?

Do you want to be on the receiving end of a job I'm really, really good at?

**Finger hovers over the button **

he he he, you wouldn't ruin a long friendship over a little jesting, would you? :)

everyone is an expert suddenly, just happen to have seen horses who have run into a cast iron bath when spooked and it wasnt pretty. So only speaking from my years of experience, only starting sitting on the beggars at 3 and havent stopped since. As for equine behaviourists, dont they just preach what most people who have any knowledge of horses do naturally?

I was brought up around horses from what I am told as soon as I could hold my head on my own I was sat on horses. I packed in When I was 16, but my grandad had a full lifetime with horses and broke in hundreds of horses over his life time and was also a stunt rider in stranger on the hill and silus marner and he used to use cast iron baths and if there was a problem we were never told (I would of thought if their was a story to tell my grandad would be all over it as he loved a story)

Well you must have seen some bloody unlucky horses because i've never heard of it.

Plumbers? Who needs them! I can just look it up on the internet!
I know as much as Cesar Milan because i've always had a dog!!

You might have been riding them all your life, congrats, so has she. But she also has an equine science degree and is a registered and insured equine behaviourist. Unfortunately the horse world is rife with people that think because they own and ride horses they absolutely cannot be told anything that they don't know. Everyone thinks they're bloody Monty Roberts just because they can sit on a horse and not fall off.

Luckily there are also a large amount of people who are willing to admit they don't know everything and their horses are far from perfect. The amount of ridiculously good testimonials and cards etc she gets for her work shows the difference someone like her can make with a horse compared to someone who just thinks they know. Same as us and DIYers.

Well you must have seen some bloody unlucky horses because i've never heard of it.

Plumbers? Who needs them! I can just look it up on the internet!
I know as much as Cesar Milan because i've always had a dog!!

You might have been riding them all your life, congrats, so has she. But she also has an equine science degree and is a registered and insured equine behaviourist. Unfortunately the horse world is rife with people that think because they own and ride horses they absolutely cannot be told anything that they don't know. Everyone thinks they're bloody Monty Roberts just because they can sit on a horse and not fall off.

Luckily there are also a large amount of people who are willing to admit they don't know everything and their horses are far from perfect. The amount of ridiculously good testimonials and cards etc she gets for her work shows the difference someone like her can make with a horse compared to someone who just thinks they know. Same as us and DIYers.

judging from your reply your one of those that cant be told!

Fitted a proper horse trough a couple of months ago, ballvalve was in a raised section way above the spill over level in a sealed metal box to protect it, just dug in 25mm alkathene 750mm deep to it and put stopcock in an outbuilding with drain tap for shut down in winter months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cast iron bath in a field, horse drinking..a water regs nightmare? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock