Search the forum,

Discuss Career Change at 26 y/o in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

holtymet

Hello guys,

I'm 26 y/o and have decided that I'd no longer like to stay in a desk job for the rest of my working days.
At 26, I feel that i'm at an OK age to change my career, any later and it will be a lot more difficult.

When i left school I actually tried to get a plumbing apprenticeship but I was unsuccessful on the interviews and ended up going to college and university. I don't fit the typical IT stereotype and i really enjoy it working on site (having labored with my step-dad between jobs, school holidays and out of university terms)

Would it be hard to get on with somebody (whilst studying at college)  and ask for ~£100 per day (the same as when I've laboured)?

Are there ways to speed up the theory learning? perhaps twice a week and three days on site?

Any help is much appreciated!

In my part of the world (Guernsey, Channel Islands) £100 per day is what a newly qualified person with a L3 Diploma would expect to be paid. I don't think you will earn anything like that as a 1st year apprentice.

If you are a plumbing apprentice in Birmingham, you would have to pay to the trader.
Where abouts are you?

Last edited:
£100 per day wile training ? what Planet have you arrived from, there are a lot of very experienced people around who don't earn that amount, If that's what your expecting to be paid then your better off where you are.

I laboured for free to get into the trade, places bit my hand off. Started at 23 and basically self funded the level 2 NVQ. Theres good lads who will work for 100-150 a day so I very much doubt you'll get 100 for labouring unless you can get very lucky indeed! If you want it enough there's nothing stopping you but it will be hard for a long time first.

hahaha not a chance i would say less than 1/3 of that or about 100 a week

Career change at 26 - yes but only if you can afford a pay cut
100 a day lol more chance of us winning the Euros, good luck though

If you're expecting that much now id love to hear your expectations when qualified!

The national minimum wage for a 1st year apprentice is £3.30 an hour £132 a week based on standard 40 hour week no matter what age you are. After the 1st year the company only has to pay you NMW for your age which is currently £7.20 an hour £288 a week based on a standard 40 week for 25 years old and over. You would have to be very lucky to get anything over that.

If you're expecting that much now id love to hear your expectations when qualified!

Aren't we all earning £75,000 a year? Plus all the cash-in-hand jobs that the politicians keep accusing us of doing that are apparently the reason why the country is financially on it's knees..

Aren't we all earning £75,000 a year? Plus all the cash-in-hand jobs that the politicians keep accusing us of doing that are apparently the reason why the country is financially on it's knees..

with how much you lot charge for a boiler swap I'd be surprised if you wasn't hitting/exceeding that figure lol ;):p:49:

interesting to hear the general public's misunderstanding that
an apprenticeship pays not COSTS you if you want to be a sparks
or plumber.

Ok, I get the general consensus on that!:13:

As mentioned, my reasons for asking if that was attainable was because that is the general laborers wage in the north west, and I'd have put the two at a similar level.

I earn double that at the moment but I just can't see much of a future with IT jobs!

A friend of mine has told me that I could do 6 months night college course and that he'd give me a few days to build up my portfolio. I can't find these courses though! Does anybody know of any?

As mentioned, my reasons for asking if that was attainable was because that is the general laborers wage in the north west, and I'd have put the two at a similar level.

I earn double that at the moment but I just can't see much of a future with IT jobs!

A friend of mine has told me that I could do 6 months night college course and that he'd give me a few days to build up my portfolio. I can't find these courses though! Does anybody know of any?

Ask in your local tech collage

I've not been on a privately owned firm's course, I'll make no comment but urge you to read
other peoples' experiences.( On the south coast I believe the council/local higher education
still offer the C&G you want). Your pal needs to offer a few days a week period, until or beyond you qualify. Read up but that might be 2xnights a week for three years.Someone younger may be better informed.
yes I meant a local tech college.

Last edited:
I've not been on a privately owned firm's course, I'll make no comment but urge you to read
other peoples' experiences.( On the south coast I believe the council/local higher education
still offer the C&G you want). Your pal needs to offer a few days a week period, until or beyond you qualify. Read up but that might be 2xnights a week for three years.Someone younger may be better informed.
yes I meant a local tech college.

Thanks Pal,
I'll get in contact with my local college and see what they can offer / if 2 days per week would be enough for the practical.

I'm sure when i inquired a few years ago, they only offered the year courses / 1 day per week

So your on 1k a week now sat in a office & you cant see a future in it !! What sort of future do you think the building industry offers, ? only thing you can guarantee is you will retire in poor health, you may never achieve 1K a week, more than likely have regular unemployment, Have you looked at the currant state of the building trade, Lots of guys on here who would be happy to change places, The grass is never greener on the other side !! But good luck.

52K p.a. Plus benefits like holiday pay, sick pay, warm dry office, Xmas and bank holidays off, employers compulsory pension, protection of the employment act. !

I would look to develop what is already an obvious skill that you have into areas that you know. Do you have a mortgage or are you looking to get one? If your looking to get a mortgage or any kind of credit as self employed it is really tough.

BTW in and around North Herts we can get all the labour we need for between £50 to £75 a day due to the fact that Luton and Watford have huge pools of unskilled Eastern European males scratching for work and driving down the day rate. They are day labour hang outs we can go to and pick up any number first thing in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Career Change at 26 y/o in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock