Discuss Can't find stopcock - is it OK to drain water tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr Skills

I need to to replace a shower cartridge, which means turning off the water supply. I can turn off the mains and hot water no problem, but the cold water is fed from a water tank at the top of the house. I cannot find a stopcock near this tank.

I assume the best thing to do is to turn off the mains then simply run the cold taps until the tank is drained. But I am worried about introducing air pockets in the pipes after the tank is refilled. Is this a danger, and if so, how can I avoid the problem?

Thanks

you could bung the tank so creating a vacuum and not waste too much water and tie the ballvalve arm up to stop water entering the tank.

as steve mention above do it that way or drain down and give cold water storage tank a clean ,if float valve is not looking healthy replace it and also fir a liver valve on down service pipe work + check mains stopcock next to tank if seems tired change it ,this way in the next 5 years will have no problems at all

also you can put a lever valve onto the feed for the tank when you turn mains off for ease of working in the future as SGI said above

Sometimes the stop tap is in the airing cupboard, but I'm assuming you've looked there too?

In these situations I make an effort to find the route of the water as it is very unusual not to have a stop tap/gate valve somewhere. I usually ask what work was done previously (e.g. washer/tap change, central heating, etc then ask where the plumber found any taps.

To be honest I don't waste a lot of time with tanked hot and cold water, if I need to work on it, it's a quick look for iso valve, if there isn't one or if the valve looks passed it, it's mains off and throw open the bath taps. Complete the work and chuck in an iso valve for next time. Then solve any issues (airlock) if they arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can't find stopcock - is it OK to drain water tank? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock