Search the forum,

Discuss Cannon 134F gas cooker (1960's ?) - Help needed for Grandmothers faulty one in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nans

Hello all,
This is my first post here so I apologize in advance if I have put it in the wrong place.

This is regarding an old, but still used daily, Cannon 134F gas cooker that needs repairing in situ as soon as possible.
Located in Sidcup, Kent.

I'll explain further...

Today my Grandmothers CO alarm went off, she called, and I went over to investigate. This has never gone off before and I had my suspicions about the grill part of the cooker before I arrived.

I cleared the room with fresh air and then got her to go through her morning toast making procedure again, using the grill as she had done, and sure enough, the alarm went off again.
Ok then, this is wrong and dangerous, so I turned off the gas to the Cannon cooker and called the emergency gas man.

I told my Grandmother that the cooker would have to go as it is too old and you can't get parts for it anymore, this was based on advice from the gas man during her previous gas service.

Well, from her reaction you would have thought that the world had stopped turning.
She's 96 years old and obviously very familiar with it and somewhat attached to it, and at that age change is difficult. But, it's dangerous and has to go, or it has to get fixed.

Looking at the new models available which have to fit her criteria ie: they have to be gas, free standing, 50cm wide, eye level grill, white and not complicated means choice is limited. What is available appears to be manufactured from old tin cans and Meccano... obviously this appraisal is not coming from an engineer.
Anyway, the chances of Grandmothers satisfaction being gained from me buying her one of these is slim.

So, what I am asking is would anyone here have any advice on how to get the old cooker functioning again ? if of course that is possible.
Obviously I can't and never would touch a gas appliance, other than to turn it off, but I am prepared to pay for someone who could fix it. So if you can, or if you know of a man that can, would you please get in touch with me.

I thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to any suggestions offered.

Damian

If its that old then it will be time to replace I'm afraid. Parts will be very limited if available at all.

She may not like the idea of a new cooker but it is safer than patching up a 50 year old cooker.

If you know the make and model why not phone cannon and get there advice on parts

Replace would be my advice too, 50 year old? It's done it's tour of duty buddy :)

don't potch it. you don't want the auld gal going through the pearly gates too soon.

Contact Cannon directly explaining how amazing the cooker has been for the last 50 or so yrs and that your mother woudn't have any other type of cooker(obviously word it better than that, they like smoke blown up their arrises) You may be suprised, I've had a couple of freebies this way, latest being a Pure dab radio/docking station that was 5 mths out of its warranty, they even paid me to return the faulty one, great service

Contact Cannon directly explaining how amazing the cooker has been for the last 50 or so yrs and that your mother woudn't have any other type of cooker(obviously word it better than that, they like smoke blown up their arrises) You may be suprised, I've had a couple of freebies this way, latest being a Pure dab radio/docking station that was 5 mths out of its warranty, they even paid me to return the faulty one, great service
good advice they may give her a new cooker or be able to help with spares(if not obsolete)

I'd like to thank everyone who has read this post and taken the time to offer their own sage piece of advice. It really is much appreciated.

I was hoping for a 'wonder fix' but it has become clear that such a thing probably doesn't exist and therefore that leaves me only the new cooker route to go down really.

I had a registered gas engineer check the cooker and the c/h boiler today and they are within tolerances for CO, but his advice was to replace the cooker as repairing/renovating it is just not viable.

Oh... my life, the furore this caused in the house with my Grandmother you wouldn't believe.
If you thought little old ladies were demure and unassuming then you should come and tell my Gran that her that her cooker is getting retired. Talk about feisty... it's no bloody wonder her generation won a World War !

Anyway, I came home and did have to chuckle to myself over the suggestion from 'jonnyswamp'... what wonderfully cheeky genius, backed up by the equally cheeky 'gas man' who also obviously appreciates a blag.

I shall be trying an email to Cannon based on that approach tomorrow.
If I have no joy via email I might be tempted to call them and pass the phone to My Grandmother... now that could be entertaining.

Damian

Cannon will prob not even know the model or have any instructions for it.

Did your engineer clean the appliance/ service it? did he/she conduct tests with there gas analizer equipment? Its not uncommon for cooking appliances to give off high readings for a short period when turned on, and your alarm needs to be kepted away from it/ fitted to the alarm manufactueres instructions.

Yes, the engineer was very professional and did what you mentioned.
He explained that there can be a surge in CO when the appliance is first lit, hence the higher and then lower, leveled out reading once burning.

I had left the CO alarm at the height and distance that it had been placed at by the engineer that supplied it back in June this year. However, the engineer yesterday advised me that the alarm was incorrectly placed and should be moved.
The kitchen is awkwardly designed and due to this fact the alarm was placed within three feet distance of the cooker and at the same height as the 'eye level' grill.
The alarm has been moved from this position for now. I will be affixing it to a more permanent position on a wall in a more appropriate place tomorrow hopefully. This will more than likely be 2-3 metres away at 45 degrees opposite to the cooker and at height of 1.8 metres.

I believe this would be better.

Thank you to everyone that provided input with regards my original question.
I must say that as a first time poster here I found the suggestions offered to be sensible, helpful and that they stayed 'on topic'... which was very refreshing.
I think that this issue will be over and done with by the end of the weekend.

Just as a quick update, I did try the idea that was suggested by 'jonnyswamp' and I have yet to receive an email reply from Cannon, therefore I can make no comment about my inquiry to them.

Have nice weekends

Ah yes,,had to google to find a pic of this Battleship of a cooker. A wonderful piece of kit and no wonder it has lasted so long. As far as i recall, the grille burner is a cast iron bar burner. Cant recall if it has a flame retention strip . I think the grille frets fall apart and cause issues. I'll be amazed if cannon have bits for it though they do have their own service network. Who knows what they have hid in their stores?

Yes, you're not wrong about it being a Battleship !
The replacement cooker, New World 50thlg, weighed in at 45kg. I could pick it up and walk with it.
The Cannon must have been around 80 odd kilos, it took two of use to remove it... no wonder it's lasted so long, over-engineered is an understatement.

Anyhow, the new one has reduced Grandmother to constant floods of tears so now after a call to the IGEM, and on their recommendation, I am trying to contact The Gas Museum to see if anyone knows someone able to refurbish the old Cannon.

I thought that the new cooker was very simple to use. So did the engineer that fitted it. So also did my mother and the District Nurses.
However, when you put it in front of a lady of that age and actually 'watch' her try to use it (and you understand a little about how the thought processes of the ageing brain begin to deteriorate) you become very aware that it is a monumental learning task for her. Oh dear.

I don't understand the grill, but I would guess that it's way past its sell by date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cannon 134F gas cooker (1960's ?) - Help needed for Grandmothers faulty one in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock