Search the forum,

Discuss Can you fit any pressure reducing valve/ multiblock on unvented. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Assuming the pressures are the same can I fit a standard pressure reducing valve/ multiblock or do I have to fit manufacturers specific?

At the moment i have a grant duowave with a megaflo multiblock but the block is leaking the grant one I can get in a couple of days but I can get a standard one tomorrow. (caleffi one like the ones you get with cheaper unvented)

Fair enough I was always taught like for like from manufacturer

That what manus want you to do. Look at the margins they make on spares and you'll understand why :rolleyes:

When a product goes through BBA or similar approval, NO manu would limit their options by specifying ONLY on supplier of components. It just doesn't make economic sense. So, approval consists of 'performance' being approved. It is then up to the manu whose they fit. It's for this reason that you see changes during a product's life (so different components) but the same original approval number.

Hope that clarifies.:)

As above, seek advice from the manufacturers. The reality is, anyone of the same spec would work. The world today though, where everyone tries to point the finger of blame. I would go 100% by the book and cover yourself.

yes you can aslong as there the same spec eg 3.5 bar

you can upp the pressure but you will have to check the max working pressure of the cylinder and upgrade the temp and pressures blow offs etc

now if the cylinder is in warranty you must use manufacture parts else you risk if anything goes wrong not having any warranty

But my point here as said before is some cylinders are 25 years on the cylinder but range between 2-5 for components. Is it worth the risk

But my point here as said before is some cylinders are 25 years on the cylinder but range between 2-5 for components. Is it worth the risk

Depends if the customer wants to keep the warranty

Yes fit manufacturers parts

No fit your own approved parts

Even the manufacturers change the spec during that 25 years eg megaflo now uses that three part RWC set instead of the “original”.

If it came to it I’m sure an expert witness would uphold an identical spec from a different manufacturer, but I’m just ‘down the pub’ talking.

Would any manufacturer honour a 25 year warranty?
I think at best they might offer a replacement cylinder with no fitting

All I’m saying is I bet manus would try and wriggle out of even that if a mismatch of components has been used

Even the manufacturers change the spec during that 25 years eg megaflo now uses that three part RWC set instead of the “original”.

If it came to it I’m sure an expert witness would uphold an identical spec from a different manufacturer, but I’m just ‘down the pub’ talking.
But it is still the one that the manufacturer has had produced specifically

Customer. The manufacturer doesn’t have to cover fitting. (As far as I am aware)

thats why if you supply goods you have to cover (eg mark up / profit) as you could be going back later on within reason

Maybe. But the ones I fit come with the cylinder which means manufacturer approved in my eyes mate.

Unvented associated parts change every few years an engineer would not know if the parts fitted were correct as to when they were actually fitted when new , take the Tribune for example I have seen them with it least 5 inlet control sets over the last 15 years .

Unvented associated parts change every few years an engineer would not know if the parts fitted were correct as to when they were actually fitted when new , take the Tribune for example I have seen them with it least 5 inlet control sets over the last 15 years .
Think I’m being miss understood mate. I’m not saying that they do not change. But when parts are needed I always take a pic of the data badge and send to my suppliers for the recommended part.

On the subject(ish) wouldn’t it be a good idea to have a scheme a bit like MOT where a G3 registered guy/gal could go online to log annual services - this would aid in safety and warranty issues.

The cylinder in question was a grant duowave cylinder with a megaflo multibloc no paperwork and they have literally just bought the house. So not really worried about a warranty as chances are it's not registered etc.

My theory was as long as it's the same spec as manufacturers spec then no problem.

The cylinder in question was a grant duowave cylinder with a megaflo multibloc no paperwork and they have literally just bought the house. So not really worried about a warranty as chances are it's not registered etc.

My theory was as long as it's the same spec as manufacturers spec then no problem.
Have you contacted the manufacturer yourself?

Reply to Can you fit any pressure reducing valve/ multiblock on unvented. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock