Discuss Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right can't resist this!!no person can work on Gas unless competent to do so [ Rule 3 (1)] A competent person is someone who is a member of a recommended body by the H.S.E. [rule 3. (3)] namely Gas Safe, If you are not a member you cannot work on a Gas appliance.... game, set and match

Can't believe it took 80 posts to come to this conclusion!!! But CAN he service his boiler if he's not GSR??!! LOL

absolutely correct in my last post, phone h&S or gas safe there in no question on this absolutely. If you think otherwise you need to do some revision and get specific answers to your thoughts. The original post was can I service my gas boiler If am not gas safe registered. The answer is no you cant. Nothing to do with competetance..read the regs

read em mate, im afraid i am right

Right can't resist this!!no person can work on Gas unless competent to do so [ Rule 3 (1)] A competent person is someone who is a member of a recommended body by the H.S.E. [rule 3. (3)] namely Gas Safe, If you are not a member you cannot work on a Gas appliance.... game, set and match

where does it say in the regs "A competent person is someone who is a member of a recommended body by the H.S.E." ?
Here is an extract from the regs below

3.—(1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.(4) The requirements of paragraph (3) above shall not apply in respect of—
(a)​
the replacement of a hose or regulator on a portable or mobile space heater; or

(b)​
the replacement of a hose connecting a re-fillable cylinder to installation pipework.

i am right in saying that to work on gas for no gain you only have to be competent but to work for gain you must be registered.
However what you have added is an interpretation of competence, if so it adds another dimension that suggested competence means registered?? seems to contradict the previous statement, however if you prove me wrong ill gladly admit it, i would just like to see where it says what you have posted as i cannot find it

BTW I dont agree with the interpretation, but im happy to abide by it if its proven. You may ask why i dont agree with it, its becaus ei have a friend who worked at BG all his life, helped set up acops, heped set up ACS, was an inspector for year, he is now retired, if he wants to service his boiler, by your understanding he is not competent, i would disagree

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with you Fuzzy, also some right muppets who are supposedly competant I wouldn't let loose with a gas lighter!

I have to agree with you Fuzzy, also some right muppets who are supposedly competant I wouldn't let loose with a gas lighter!

ive added info in terms of an edit, that explains why i dont agree, however if this interpretation is proved law ill happily abide, even if i dont agree

Its a wording thing is competence I did at the very start of my working life a mechanical / electrical engineering degree (7 years) and when I was presented my stupid hat was I ready for really proving my competence
To be honest no not really it has taken over 20 years to prove that to my self let alone anyone else, if some one can prove previous experience or simply be successfull in siting an assessment then competence is proved
Am I correct or not

i am right in saying that to work on gas for no gain you only have to be competent but to work for gain you must be registered.
However what you have added is an interpretation of competence, if so it adds another dimension that suggested competence means registered?? seems to contradict the previous statement, however if you prove me wrong ill gladly admit it, i would just like to see where it says what you have posted as i cannot find it

BTW I dont agree with the interpretation, but im happy to abide by it if its proven. You may ask why i dont agree with it, its becaus ei have a friend who worked at BG all his life, helped set up acops, heped set up ACS, was an inspector for year, he is now retired, if he wants to service his boiler, by your understanding he is not competent, i would disagree

Exactly if you are quallified for gas work for 30yrs and stop paying GS for some reason, like retirement or for any other reason are you now a cowboy? or incompetant? of course not, and if you service your own boiler or familly and freinds for no gain, are you likely to leave in a dangeous state or not working correctly, of course not.

Exactly if you are quallified for gas work for 30yrs and stop paying GS for some reason, like retirement or for any other reason are you now a cowboy? or incompetant? of course not, and if you service your own boiler or familly and freinds for no gain, are you likely to leave in a dangeous state or not working correctly, of course not.

Id say not mate, you are possibly much safer than a newly qualified gsr. im not convinced by the wording suggested and think i good layer could defend you, however im looking forward to reading it for myself when it is pointed out were it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can i service my own boiler if am not gas safe registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
  • Question
I have a friend who has offered to fit my new boiler to save on costs. He is competent but is retired and no longer gas safe registered. Is he...
Replies
Views
Just browsing the threads and this one here // www .plumbersforums. net /threads /bldg-regs-compliance-interlock.103043/ caught my eye. 1. If a...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
W
Help. I am trying to sell my house and just discovered from local searches that my plumber - who WAS Oftec registered when he installed the...
Replies
Views
Hi gents and ladies, Making the probable mistake of buying a house at present : bit of a fixer with a shoddy but recent boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock