Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Can I do anything to boost flow rate into my Roca cistern? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,
First post, be gentle! Anyway, here's my issue. I have a Roca The Gap D-Trit close-couple toilet with integrated macerator in my secondary bathroom. In all it's a great solution for a problem location for a bathroom. However, the cistern has a typical european style side inlet pipe, and has what looks like a miniscule diameter (maybe 10mm external, god knows internal, and the docs have no info on it).
My water supply is all gravity fed upstairs, and as such I don't have a tonne of pressure anyway. When trying to force it through this tiny pipe, the flow into the cistern is basically a dribble at best. It takes well over an hour to fully fill the cistern.
I've already had it apart and removed a restrictor from the inlet, which made a small improvement. My question is whether it's feasible to replace the entire inlet pipe with a wider diameter pipe? And would it make a difference if I could? I've also investigated an inline pump but I'm not convinced I even have the flow rate to trigger a pump flow switch! It's clearly designed for a much higher water pressure than a typical UK bathroom, and I really want to make this £1500 toilet work better!

Plumberparts did a video on an indirect combination water heater which head really low head. They installed a pump to fill the tank on top of the water cylinder faster and a sensor on the water tank in case the water level would run low. I think, that might give an idea you can incorporate..

Can you remove the cistern top and post a photo of the "ballcock" assembly, if it is the traditional type then you can change the nozzle from a high pressure to a low pressure one (larger diameter nozzle), might give some improvement.
It takes exactly 3 minutes to fill my gravity fed (upstairs) cistern, but cant remember if it has the low or high pressure nozzle.

Last edited:
Can you remove the cistern top and post a photo of the "ballcock" assembly, if it is the traditional type then you can change the nozzle from a high pressure to a low pressure one (larger diameter nozzle), might give some improvement.
It takes exactly 3 minutes to fill my gravity fed (upstairs) cistern, but cant remember if it has the low or high pressure nozzle.
It looks similar to this, but with a side-inlet rather than a bottom inlet.

I have another two toilets upstairs, both of which fill completely fine, and one is a brand-new Saneaux cistern, so it's not like everything else is old imperial measurements or anything. Seems to be specific to the Roca pipe inlet.

Attachments

• roca-the-gap-1-2-inlet-valve-822010300-h0007800r-231546-p.jpg
    roca-the-gap-1-2-inlet-valve-822010300-h0007800r-231546-p.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 11
This is a servo valve that needs high pressure to operate properly. It should be pretty simple to swap this valve for a low pressure valve from a local merchant (asking their advice). And change the pipe at the same time.

The pipe ID can make a huge difference.
Assuming a 2.5M head then 1M of 6MM ID pipe will flow 5.7LPM but 4MM ID will only flow 2.0LPM.

Reply to Can I do anything to boost flow rate into my Roca cistern? in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was looking into a problem with flow rate in my bathroom. A bit confused with how flow rate, water pressure, pipe length, and difference in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
I'm installing a new well pump, pressure tank, and toilet in a "shed" (note: local code is 2015 UPC based, and shed is insulated & conditioned)...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock