Discuss Bulb Energy in Special Administration in the Plumbing News area at PlumbersForums.net

Bulb Energy started in 2015 and was one of the first utility providers to offer renewable electricity and gas to consumers. Unfortunately Bulb has gone into special administration due to the spike in wholesale prices.
1638790165906.jpeg

With the administrators now appointed - Bulb can continue to trade until the time is right for the company to be sold under the terms of special administration.

So what should Bulb Customers do, as gas engineers and plumbers have you got any insider info that can help out members who may be in this situation, or other similar scenarios?

Last edited by a moderator:
Was with Symbio (electricity) and Daligas (gas) until they went under and now am with E.ON (electricity) and Shell Energy (gas).

The new 'capped' variable tariffs are considerably more expensive than my previous 12-month fix from March (about 50% up overall) and, of course, the higher prices kicked in just in time for winter so they have the biggest possible impact.

It's another example of the "A warranty is worthless if the underwriter goes bust." rule.

I was the octopus and I asked if they could assure me that the electricy coming into my home was green and renewable and only produced by local windmills as I did not want any other kind of electricity contaminating my circuits. They actually promised this in an email, I Rubbish you now.

We've been with Octopus Energy for a few years now and have had no issues. Unfortunately anyone coming off a fixed price tariff will experience a pretty sharp rise in prises, ours went up by 35% in Sept but are still lower than most according to the comparison sites I checked at the time.
Looking forward, heating and energy use will be a serious consideration for many households. We have had cheap energy for a long time and in some ways sat back and enjoyed it without considering what would happen if it rises. Most people spend more on their TV and Internet services than heating and hot water! I have lost count of the jobs people have complained about boiler repair costs while passing a 60in" TV in every room! Ha, rant over.
Cheap energy. You must be joking! I was paying £160 month before this crisis which was much more than for TV or internet and the difference is that I need energy wheras I can do without TV out internet if I have to. Energy and fuel has always been hugely expensive in this country compared to the USA and has never been cheap. Now the prices are ridiculous!

Yeah. Cheap. Trouble is our generation hasn't seen expensive energy.

My (rural) grandparents' generation used to cut wood by hand and carry it down the hills on their backs or on huge sledges. Even today, with motor vehicles and chainsaws, a couple of cubic metres of stacked firewood would probably take me a couple of days (if I were any good at it), plus better housing and more efficient heating means you don't need so much fuel in the first place and yet we can have a whole house at 20 degrees if we want. Back in the day of axes and open fires, wood was the best part of the winter's work and most of the house would have been cold, except the kitchen. Even then I'm told they usually got up and started work a long time before anyone would stop to light a fire.

Before switching to a green tariff, I was with Ebico and could earn my fuel bills in less than 2 weeks in a minimum wage job. Around £500 a year. I call that pretty darn cheap.

Yeah. Cheap. Trouble is our generation hasn't seen expensive energy.

My (rural) grandparents' generation used to cut wood by hand and carry it down the hills on their backs or on huge sledges. Even today, with motor vehicles and chainsaws, a couple of cubic metres of stacked firewood would probably take me a couple of days (if I were any good at it), plus better housing and more efficient heating means you don't need so much fuel in the first place and yet we can have a whole house at 20 degrees if we want. Back in the day of axes and open fires, wood was the best part of the winter's work and most of the house would have been cold, except the kitchen. Even then I'm told they usually got up and started work a long time before anyone would stop to light a fire.

Before switching to a green tariff, I was with Ebico and could earn my fuel bills in less than 2 weeks in a minimum wage job. Around £500 a year. I call that pretty darn cheap.
Maybe you think we should go back to living in caves! My parents first house was a small terrace with an outside toilet. Not something I would want to go back to on freezing evenings in the north! No problem for you as a plumber as you can just stick another £10 on your charges to cover any increase. Not quite the same for people already struggling to make ends meet.

The cost of everything is unfortunately constantly increasing, more so at the moment and the foreseeable future. My point was simply that as an overall household cost energy has been relatively competitive for years, especially in comparison to the rest of Europe. It will now be something that has to be properly budgeted for and considered when renovating homes to make them more efficient.
I really feel for anyone struggling financially at the moment as there isn't much light at the end of the tunnel. I have been in the position where the decision between food or energy had to be made and it is pretty miserable.

Maybe you think we should go back to living in caves! My parents first house was a small terrace with an outside toilet. Not something I would want to go back to on freezing evenings in the north! No problem for you as a plumber as you can just stick another £10 on your charges to cover any increase. Not quite the same for people already struggling to make ends meet.
To be honest, what I earn as a plumber (and it isn't a lot actually - yet to make plumbing a profitable business) is none of your business, but I have a very good idea what struggling to make ends meet means, and I am still very frugal (currently in a room heated to 15.2°C if the room thermostat in here is to be believed). People don't forget their backgrounds easily.

My point was that had we not had cheap energy, we wouldn't have developed a society (out of caves, if you like :) ) that allows us to have fully-heated homes and our generation has been very lucky to live in such times thus far. I think most people can afford £10 a week to heat and light a house (I shared the costs with a housemate anyway). For those that can't, there is obviously a lot wrong with our society, but my point is that the issue is not the price of gas and electricity as such.

Reply to Bulb Energy in Special Administration in the Plumbing News area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The Energy Price Cap in the UK: Balancing Affordability and Sustainability Introduction The United Kingdom's energy price cap has been a topic...
Replies
Views
Hello My name is Brendon Vince-Sheridan. I have recently finished my C&G level 2 6129 technical certificate, however I still have 4 exams to do...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock