Discuss Bulb Energy in Special Administration in the Plumbing News area at PlumbersForums.net

Bulb Energy started in 2015 and was one of the first utility providers to offer renewable electricity and gas to consumers. Unfortunately Bulb has gone into special administration due to the spike in wholesale prices.
1638790165906.jpeg

With the administrators now appointed - Bulb can continue to trade until the time is right for the company to be sold under the terms of special administration.

So what should Bulb Customers do, as gas engineers and plumbers have you got any insider info that can help out members who may be in this situation, or other similar scenarios?

Last edited by a moderator:
Utility point eg now edf :D

When my deal with Outfoxthemarket came to an end I had a good look around as I don't use a lot of elec/gas. Signed a fixed term with Eon which still has about 5 months to go and was cheaper than the new OTF deal I was offered, and glad I did! We'll see what happens next year.

Was with people's energy till they went bust. Got transferred to BG and it appears to be pointless changing.
BG almost immediately after we joined them started sending emails for us to increase payments. Not just 30, 40, or even a 50 pounds a month increase. But a ridiculous monthly rate more than double that we were paying People's energy.

Renewables are a funny thing as far as energy tariffs go. Many firms have green tariffs and do produce or buy renewable energy. The snag is that they then sell the Renewable Obligation Certificates to firms lacking renewable capacity which means the nenewables they sell subsidise the fossil energy sold by other firms. Different firms have different ways of dealing with this problem and some are merely greenwashing.

Interestingly, when the price caps kicked in, there was an exception granted to ONLY THREE firms who managed to demonstrate to OFGEM that the product they supplied was genuinely a different product that justified charging more than the cap. These were Ecotricity, Green Energy UK, and Good Energy. That no other firms were exempted tells a story..

Currently with EON for both gas and electricity. Was on a 1 year fixed rate which ran out in September. Couldn't find anyone cheaper than their renewal at that time, so on another fixed rate with them for 1 year, but no penalty for either gas or electric if I bail out during the year if a miracle happens and some deals appear again.

We've been with Octopus Energy for a few years now and have had no issues. Unfortunately anyone coming off a fixed price tariff will experience a pretty sharp rise in prises, ours went up by 35% in Sept but are still lower than most according to the comparison sites I checked at the time.
Looking forward, heating and energy use will be a serious consideration for many households. We have had cheap energy for a long time and in some ways sat back and enjoyed it without considering what would happen if it rises. Most people spend more on their TV and Internet services than heating and hot water! I have lost count of the jobs people have complained about boiler repair costs while passing a 60in" TV in every room! Ha, rant over.

Reply to Bulb Energy in Special Administration in the Plumbing News area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
The Energy Price Cap in the UK: Balancing Affordability and Sustainability Introduction The United Kingdom's energy price cap has been a topic...
Replies
Views
Hello My name is Brendon Vince-Sheridan. I have recently finished my C&G level 2 6129 technical certificate, however I still have 4 exams to do...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock