Search the forum,

Discuss building regs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lee17

Hi ive just started doing little plumbing jobs and a customer has asked for her old bathroom to be redone. She wants her bath removed and replaced with a electric shower and enclosure and a new basin, toilet and new tiled floor and walls. Will i need to get building regs paper work for this.

yes its all in the same room she is an elderly woman,she finds it difficult to get into the bath so she wants me to take bath out and fit a shower insted. thanks very much jts.

It will probably come under,
PART a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z,

I cant seem to get a spanner out my tool box at the mo without someine trurning up with shirt tie spouting some regs to someone,

e.g
i am doing a small job on three bed flat , dropped rads for painters , put in new bathroom , and sorted out a bit of messy pipework , couple other trades also doing bit n bobs and yet building control involved

work that out as nothing structural changing !

New wc where there was none in the room before requires building inspection. (As does new drain outside if this is necessary.) Moving a wc to a different part of the room but using existing soil pipe is fine - just check for venting and falls in horizontal pipes.

New cabling and/or rcd for an electric shower requires a qualified electrician. Electric shower should be fed from mains with an isolating valve.

New ventilation if none installed. I tell customer about this one and tell them I have to let them know but if they choose to ignore it I'm not going to argue.

Otherwise, normal water regs stuff (e.g. hot supply pipe above cold, air gaps, no leaks, etc).

Hi hammers, Building control just makeing sure that paint is going on right way up, why do they allways send someone who has no idea what is going on, what's the point in sending someone to look at plumbing / electric's when they can't tell one end of a screwdriver from another !!

Trouble is most of the building control 'officers' I've come across wouldn't know turf was to go green side up.

To balance this argument tho', you do find one that is not only very knowledgable but is also good at applying that lost art of 'common sense'.

I suppose building control get involved with bathrooms with a bath only if you change the likes of a bedroom into a bathroom. Its because the joist span and spacings are usually different in a bathroom than a bedroom. So the floor is stronger in a bathroom than it is in a bedroom to support a bath full of water, bath and the person in it.

Should be okay, less weight in small area. But making a bathroom a wet room involves a lot of work tanking every where.

Making a bedroom a wet room depends on lots of things. If you use ceramic tiles for the floor or install a unit wet room you have to check the floor loading. Have a look at the Building regs Construction guidance it usually gives you joist space loadings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to building regs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
I have a vanity basin and concealed cistern toilet to install. In place if a wall hung basin and toilet in a down stairs cloak room. The only problem is it's a tiled floor and the original toilet has been fit then tiled around. So when I remove they'll be a hole in the floor tiling. The new...
Replies
Views
Hey guys I know this ain't plumbing. But some of you may know. I have a small bathroom but water seems to leak to the kitchen. I realised under the floor tiles one of the floorboards on side of the bath was wet through and almost rotten. So I feel the water has been seeping through that due...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I have a question about adding a second bathroom to a house. My parents house has one bathroom upstairs and the house is all mains fed the water tank was removed decades ago. They are converting the attic and will have a small bathroom with a toilet, basin and shower cubicle...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a stone-resin shower tray, new ceramic tiles on the floor and half tiling on the walls. All the work...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock