Search the forum,

Discuss Building regs approval or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Selfbuilder3

Hello,
I'm thinking of fitting a woodburning stove with back boilder in a new build.
The system would provide hot water for bathing/cooking & central heating using a twin coil hot water (one coil for solar & the other coil for log stove).

Question 1 -
Does such a system need to be fitted by a qualified plumber?
Or can I as long as the system is correct (I intend to copy a friends system) DIY fit the system?.

Question 2
As new build, building regs would inspect relevant work but like part p for electrial instilation do i need a simular certificate to keep building regs happy?

I be be grateful for any relevant information.

David

Pretty sure you need to be HETAS to legally fit the appliance. I'm gas safe and would get a qualified guy to carry out the essentials. Balls it up and you could kill some one.

Try this link
[DLMURL]http://www.hetas.co.uk/image_uploads/consumer_leaflet_july_11.pdf[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to have the appropriate qualifications for installation, building control will be looking certificate of competence/registration numbers as minimum requirement for back boiler / solar installation, qualified plumber is only able to do so much then you have the add ons such as gas safe, oftec, hetas etc to prove competance in specific areas

p.s. thats my experience in n.i. and from what I see on this forum BC alot more strict on the mainland

Last edited by a moderator:
you dont need to be hetas registered, but if not you do need to pay building control to sign off the installation which will cost between £150-£200 on average Per visit. I would atleast seek the advise of a qualified person. I would not assume your friends system is correct, to the current building regulations or designed as good as it could have been. safety is the key design ingredient needed as the system needs to be able to cope with the poor control these types of appliances tend to have. Its also very improtant to get the correct boiler heat output to match your systems needs, if this is not done you will get problems.

i would personally fit a thermal store.

for some general guidence.......the system must comply with manufactures instructions, all building regulations especially Part J,part G and part L which have all recently been updated (2010 ish). The cylinder must be designed to be used with solid fuel( grade 1, 28mm coil etc...) have a temp relief valve, discharge pipework to meet part G of the building regs. You will need to have all the controls required by part L of the regs like time, temp, zoned heating. You may also require Hi and Low limit stats to avoid thermal shock to the stove. NO plastic on the primary side of the installation, including tanks, overflow, float valve etc.... No fitting bends on the flow and return pipework. Heat leak radiator at 10% of heat output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Building regs approval or not? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, I wanted to ask a general question about an underfloor heating system our plumber is proposing and if this solution will be sufficient to heat the rooms. We have only a woodburning stove (15kW nominal output) that heats our open plan lounge/kitchen/diner directly (6.5kW from the...
Replies
Views
Hi all. New to this. I Will Try and explain best I can. Large New build (2.5yrs old) with block and beam flooring. Then Membrane Then celotex Then membrane Wet system underfloor heating In approx 2-3” of screed I think Then tiled throughout 15mm Hot and cold copper pipes, felt lagged...
Replies
Views
Hi all I've been reading about the Drayton Wiser system and along the way I began to go down a rabbit hole learning about heating system optimisation and efficiency and i've come to the conclusion that the boiler in my property is way oversized for the requirements, The property is a 4 bed...
Replies
Views
Hi there, The issue that I am having is I am building a new house and the plumbers are absolutely hopeless. Being an industrial plumber and spending 8 months on new houses during my apprenticeship. I have a more brighter idea than these fella's. From issues during rough-in-stage pipe being...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock