Discuss Brown Switchmaster woe! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HollyM

We've recently been having issues with our central heating coming on. No matter whether we have our setting on for "twice", "all day " or "24hrs" we have no hot water in our radiators. Our boiler is definitely working, it heats our hot water. I've looked in our airing cupboard and notices the old brown switch master is CONSTANTLY at "hot water". I've manually moved out round to "central heating" but within about minute it has quietly ticked it's way back round to "hot water" again and stopped. For 1 minute we've had hot water in our radiators.
Any advice would be much appreciated, I'm not sitting in the cupboard turning this thing round every minute to keep us warm.

1478435215168-929554078.jpg

You should get your programmer checked out, it seems the signal for
heating is not getting to the motorised valve.

Those old switchmaster valves are obsolete and cannot be replaced
like for like.

They can easily be replaced with a Honeywell along with a simple
alteration to the wiring.

(I have never come across a brown switchmaster only the blue one).

Thanks heliotrope, I'll get someone out to have a look.
When I looked on the internet I could only find information and images of the blue switchmasters so this one must be even more ancient than they are!

You should get your programmer checked out, it seems the signal for
heating is not getting to the motorised valve.

Those old switchmaster valves are obsolete and cannot be replaced
like for like.

They can easily be replaced with a Honeywell along with a simple
alteration to the wiring.

(I have never come across a brown switchmaster only the blue one).

They are a similar age. The blue ones are a normal 'y' plan whilst the brown ones are divertor valves like the Honeywell 'W' plan.

Thanks for that information Dave Tidy.

Just had another look at the photo. Can see now no mid position only HW or CH.

Thanks for that information Dave Tidy.

Just had another look at the photo. Can see now no mid position only HW or CH.

Sad, but I am now part of the older generation and have lots of knowledge and paperwork on stuff that no-one needs...........right, back to my afternoon kip....see you again when I come out of hibernation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brown Switchmaster woe! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Solved
Hi, I am looking for a bit of advice. Our Gledhill hot water tank was installed incorrectly 18 months ago and has been sending bubbling hot...
Replies
Views
Hello, I've just found this forum and wondering if anyone can please help us. We've not long moved into our new home. It's has Johnson and Starley...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock