Search the forum,

Discuss Brown Switchmaster woe! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HollyM

We've recently been having issues with our central heating coming on. No matter whether we have our setting on for "twice", "all day " or "24hrs" we have no hot water in our radiators. Our boiler is definitely working, it heats our hot water. I've looked in our airing cupboard and notices the old brown switch master is CONSTANTLY at "hot water". I've manually moved out round to "central heating" but within about minute it has quietly ticked it's way back round to "hot water" again and stopped. For 1 minute we've had hot water in our radiators.
Any advice would be much appreciated, I'm not sitting in the cupboard turning this thing round every minute to keep us warm.

1478435215168-929554078.jpg

You should get your programmer checked out, it seems the signal for
heating is not getting to the motorised valve.

Those old switchmaster valves are obsolete and cannot be replaced
like for like.

They can easily be replaced with a Honeywell along with a simple
alteration to the wiring.

(I have never come across a brown switchmaster only the blue one).

Thanks heliotrope, I'll get someone out to have a look.
When I looked on the internet I could only find information and images of the blue switchmasters so this one must be even more ancient than they are!

You should get your programmer checked out, it seems the signal for
heating is not getting to the motorised valve.

Those old switchmaster valves are obsolete and cannot be replaced
like for like.

They can easily be replaced with a Honeywell along with a simple
alteration to the wiring.

(I have never come across a brown switchmaster only the blue one).

They are a similar age. The blue ones are a normal 'y' plan whilst the brown ones are divertor valves like the Honeywell 'W' plan.

Thanks for that information Dave Tidy.

Just had another look at the photo. Can see now no mid position only HW or CH.

Thanks for that information Dave Tidy.

Just had another look at the photo. Can see now no mid position only HW or CH.

Sad, but I am now part of the older generation and have lots of knowledge and paperwork on stuff that no-one needs...........right, back to my afternoon kip....see you again when I come out of hibernation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brown Switchmaster woe! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock