Discuss Brown sludge/scum floating in CH header tank, is this just bacteria ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DIY7747

I was about to drain the heating system and noticed a brown skin floating on the top of the water in the header tank. there is also some white 'salt like' colouring. I assume this 'scum' is a sort of bacteria that needs to be removed before draining the system. Can anyone advise what it is please?

its what we call in the trade and some crap or crud :)

its probably system contaminates or dust from the loft.

if the tank seems quite dirty it would be better if you drained it first to stop any crap getting into your system when its drained, then give the tank a good clean out. before you refill the system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Brown sludge/scum floating in CH header tank, is this just bacteria ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’ve recently cleaned my central heating system with Sentinel X400 cleaner, flushed it out clear, refilled & added Sentinel X100 inhibitor. After...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a...
Replies
Views
Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock