Discuss British Gas Homecare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have homecare insurance with British Gas and have to say on the whole they are okay, however on the last visit by the engineer to fix a persistent sticky valve (the one that switches the hot water to rads and back) he said they could no longer service parts that are in direct contract with the water from the system due to not having a power flush (this seems a bit prohibitive as most of the system has to be in direct contact with water).

I asked the engineer to test the water quality, he then proceeded to ask for access to the loft, a while later he beckoned me up to the airing cupboard to show me a bucket full of cloudy water.

Now, I've drained and removed the rads, flushed them individually a couple of years ago and what I noticed while carrying out this task was there was a layer of sediment in the header tank below the inlet pipe (open vented system). is it possible that the engineer asked for access to the loft to deliberately stir up this sediment so it would then come down the inlet pipe and into his bucket.

What is the standard procedure for testing water quality on an open vented system?

Thanks

The standard procedure of how to test water quality on any system is not to use BG.

They are Known for pushing power flushes often when they are not even needed, you have already blown through your radiators fitting a filter would be a bonus as well.IMHO if you are paying for a service and your package includes change of parts then thats what they should do.

That sounds right bg trying riggle out of doing the job. Change header to pressure vessel, if compatible with boiler, powerflush, drop bg go with a local engineer who will look after your system personally.

£750 for a powerflush that's why, as you've flushed your system before get some system cleaner and DIY again not forgetting to redose with inhibitor as well as change your care provider.

Last edited:
£750 for a powerflush that's why, as you've flushed your system before get some system cleaner and DIY again not forgetting to redose with inhibitor as well as change your care provider.

Would all the major care providers not use similar tactics, if not any recommendations?

Go with a recommended local engineer. All the big companies see are £££££

Would all the major care providers not use similar tactics, if not any recommendations?

I don't know about other providers but BG are well known for their powerflush scam as householders get a shock with that size of bill after already paying a monthly fee. Providers either charge a call out fee or raise their monthly charge accordingly, try Uswitch for national care providers or your local GSR engineer. It sounds like you have a sticky motorised valve, should be a straightforward fix for anybody competent so try someone local.

Firstly ring BG and tell them you want to cancel the Homecare cover.

They WILL ask why as they won't want to loose the opportunity to make money out of you (sorry) you as a valued customer.

Tell them you aren't happy with the diagnosis by the BG representative

I moved down south years ago from Leeds, I know loads of people up there who have gone with BG and when they have been recommended a power flush it ends up that BG will charge £800

unless you pay cash and we can come saturday for £400...................................

Hi, under your homecare agreement BG do not cover for scale and sludge related issues, however they must first tell you that they have identified an issue with sludge in the system.
For example they replace the valve which has become sludged up and advise that if you do not take further action such as a powerflush or filter then the fault will most likely reoccur and you will be charged to replace that component.
I believe you can get a third party to flush the system, but you must prove you have done so but if the system builds back up with sludge over time and causes issues you would not be covered.
If you decided to flush with BG then as long as you stay on contract you have a life time guarantee on the flush hence paying twice the price as your local contractor.
Also no good engineer whether BG or local will take a water sample from your header tank.
There main method of testing would be to take water from a rad or somewhere in the airing cupboard and fill a turbidity tube. The tube has a target in the bottom and if this is not visible at a certain level then a powerflush would be recommended.

If you are concerned call back in and ask for a second opinion and ask for the water sample to be taken to help you decided what to do.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas Homecare in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Dear All New member here, coming looking for help. A few weeks ago I had work carried out by a British Gas Homecare service technician. It...
Replies
Views
    • Informative
Why am I not surprised? Britain’s gas network still using engines from 1960s RAF fighter jets Ageing aircraft turbines will cost millions to...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock